The Amazing Race Australia 3
|The Amazing Race: Australia v New Zealand|
|First Aired||4(AU)/5(NZ) August - 25 September(AU)/7 October(NZ), 2014|
|Filmed||7 March – 30 March 2014|
|No. of Episodes||8(AU)/10(NZ)|
|Winners||Daniel Little &|
|Distance Traveled||90,000 kilometres (56,000 mi)|
|No. of Legs||10|
|Season 2 ◄ Season 3|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|
The Amazing Race Australia 3 is the third series of The Amazing Race Australia, the Australian version of The Amazing Race. Officially titled The Amazing Race Australia v New Zealand, the race featured ten teams of two (five from Australia and five from New Zealand), each in a pre-existing relationship, in a race around the world for a A$250,000 grand prize.
The show premiered on Australia's Seven Network for 4 August 2014 after The X-Factor's Monday show. New Zealand's TV2 premiered the show on 5 August 2014 after its airing of My Kitchen Rules Australia 5.
Australian intensive care nurses Daniel & Ryan were the winners of the Race.
On 14 August 2012, the Seven Network announced the show was looking for contestants for its third series. Despite calling for contestant applications, the show was absent in the Seven Network's 2013 Upfronts and was replaced by an unsuccessful revival of the Australian version of The Mole.
The show was then renewed again on 22 October 2013. It was also announced that Seven's in-house production company, Seven Productions would produce the season and activeTV would not be involved, unlike the previous two seasons.
Filming began in March 2014 at Uluru in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. The race traveled across six continents and ten countries and was over 90,000 kilometres (56,000 mi) long. It is the first time that one of the international spin-offs of The Amazing Race has traveled to all six inhabited continents and the race course is the longest amongst the spin-offs (third overall behind two of the American version's race courses).
The Speed Bump was introduced for this series, replaced Marked for Elimination, it required a team that finished last in a non-elimination leg to perform an additional task some point during the next leg. The Express Pass returned since the first series, allowing the team that places first in the first leg to skip any later task in the race, and the second Express Pass was also introduced. The Salvage Pass also returned, however it was awarded to the team that arrived first in the sixth leg rather than the first.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 10||Australia||2 (ALL)||1|
|1, 2||New Zealand||0||1|
|5, 6, 7||Russia||0||2|
Applications for the third series originally opened during the second series despite the show not being officially renewed by Seven Network. Later when the show was officially renewed for 2014, applications opened again with the show now being opened to citizens of New Zealand. Applicants who applied previously were given the chance to update their application or leave it as it was. This second round of Applications ended on 22 December 2013.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Daniel & Ryan||Intensive Care Nurses||4th||3rd||3rd2||6th||3rd^||1st||1st||3rdƒ||3rd||1st||Daniel 4, Ryan 5|
|Sally & Tyson||Dating→Engaged Bodybuilders4||9th||4th||4th⊂||5th||4th^||3rd||3rd||1st||2nd||2nd||Sally 6, Tyson 5|
|Ashleigh & Jarrod||Newlyweds||6th||7th||5th||3rd||2nd+||2nd||5th||2nd||1st||3rd||Ashleigh 5, Jarrod 6|
|Carla & Hereni||Fitness Mums||2nd||8th||6th||1stə3||5th–||5th||2nd||4th||4th||Carla 63, Hereni 4|
|Cat & Jesse||Foster Parents||8th||5th||7th||4th||6th–||4th||4th||5th||Cat 4, Jesse 5|
|John & Murray||Best Mates||1st||2ndε1||1st⊃||2nd||1st+||6th5||John 2, Murray 31|
|Emily & Jono||Siblings||3rd||1st||2nd||7th||Emily 2, Jono 2|
|Aston & Christie||Feisty Friends||7th||6th||8th||Aston 2, Christie 1|
|Elizabeth & Todd||Mother/Son||5th||9th||Elizabeth 1, Todd 1|
|Inga & Tiharna||Pageant Models||10th||Inga 0, Tiharna 1|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- A purple ε indicates that the team decided to use the Express Pass on that Leg.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump during the next leg of the race.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A brown ⊃ indicates that the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching coloured symbols (pink +, teal ^ and magenta –) indicate teams who worked together during part of the leg as a result of the Intersection route marker.
- An underlined leg number indicates that there was no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and all teams were ordered to continue racing.
- John & Murray were subject to various placement changes on the second leg of the race: They departed the Pit Start in Christchurch 1 hour late because they overslept and missed their departure time. Four teams departed in their place until they woke up and departed in 5th place. They then used their Express Pass to bypass the Roadblock on Leg 2. Neither of them were shown choosing to perform the Roadblock, so it is not counted towards their Roadblock count. They also initially arrived at the Pit Stop in 1st, but had not paid their tuk-tuk driver. They were required to settle the bill before being allowed to check in. During that time, Emily & Jono checked in for a 1st place finish, dropping them to 2nd.
- Daniel & Ryan were received a 30 minute time credit at the start of Leg 3 for doing the best in the step counter task in Leg 2. With their time-credit they departed in 1st.
- Carla & Hereni used their Express Pass to bypass the Roadblock in Leg 4. Before using the Express Pass, Carla elected to perform the Roadblock, and this is reflected in the total Roadblock count.
- At the Leg 6 Pit Stop, Tyson proposed to Sally, who accepted. Their relationship title was changed from "Dating Bodybuilders" to "Engaged Bodybuilders".
- John & Murray came last but had the opportunity to be saved with Daniel & Ryan's Salvage Pass. However, Daniel & Ryan chose not to save John & Murray, resulting in their elimination.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "I Gotta Have Two Legs to Run the Race!" – Christie
- "She's Got One Hell of a Body on Her and She Just Used It" – Jarrod (paraphrased)
- "Proper Preparation Prevents Piss-Poor Performance" – Christie
- "We Have A Lot of Experience with Poo" – Carla
- "Right Now I Don't Care If He Pees in His Pants" – Sally
- "I'm Not Going to Come Last, I'm Just Going to Die on The Amazing Race" – Daniel
- "There's A Lot of Bones In This, I Really Don't Wanna Die" – Cat
- "I Can't Feel My Nadz!" – Jesse
- "Dude, We Don't Want To Go To Your House" – Ryan
- "At Least We Did Better Than the Bloody Kiwis" – Jarrod
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg.
- Leg 1 - Two Express Passes – an item that can be used on the race to skip any one task of the team's choosing up until the fifth leg of the race. The winning team keeps one for themselves but must relinquish the second to another team before the end of the third leg of the race. Also a trip for two in Business Class flight to Los Angeles provided by Virgin Australia.
- Leg 2 - A$10,000 voucher with Virgin Australia and 2 frequent flyer cards for the winning leg. Additionally, the team who had the closest matching numbers on their step counters would receive a 30-minute headstart on the next leg.
- Leg 3 - Two tickets with Virgin Australia and their codeshare partners Etihad Airlines to one if their European destinations and A$5,000 spending money.
- Leg 4 - 500,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points which they can use on any Velocity reward of their choosing.
- Leg 5 - First class tickets train tickets to their next destination for themselves and a team of their choice.
- Leg 6 - The Salvage Pass – which has the power to give the holder an hour time-credit or to save the last placing team from elimination. Also, A 5 star, 7 night holiday for 2 to Phuket, Thailand from Virgin Holiday.
- Leg 7 - Two Business Class tickets flight to Abu Dhabi provided by Virgin Australia.
- Leg 8 - A$10,000 voucher and a Platinum Velocity Frequent Flyer Card.
- Leg 9 - A 5 star, 7 night holiday for 2 to Bail, Indonesia from Virgin Holiday.
- Leg 10 -
- 1st Place: A$250,000
- 2nd & 3rd Place: 1,000,000 Velocity Frequent Flyer Points
- Additionally, the team that scored the highest on the Virgin Australia task received two Business Class tickets to Los Angeles.
|The Amazing Race Australia 3|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10|
|Countries||Australia • New Zealand • Cambodia • Thailand • Namibia • Russia • Portugal • Croatia • Argentina • United States|
|Teams||Ashleigh & Jarrod • Aston & Christie • Carla & Hereni • Cat & Jesse • Daniel & Ryan • Elizabeth & Todd • Emily & Jono • Inga & Tiharna • John & Murray • Sally & Tyson|