The Amazing Race Australia 2
|The Amazing Race Australia 2|
|First Aired||30 May - 15 August 2012|
|Filmed||18 November - 13 December 2011|
|No. of Episodes||12|
|Winners||Shane Haw &|
|Distance Traveled||40,000 miles (65,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
|Season 1 ◄ Season 2 ► Season 3|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race Australia 2 is the second installment of the reality television show The Amazing Race Australia. The show premiered on Australia's Seven Network on 30 May 2012, one week after the last episode of The Amazing Race 20 aired in Australia. The show moved back to its old Monday schedule at 7:30 pm on 25 June 2012.
The series concluded with Police Officers Shane & Andrew winning the race.
On 17 July 2011, the Seven Network announced that the show was renewed for a second series.
Filming began on 18 November 2011 at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Sydney. The race travelled across four continents, 9 countries and 17 cities and was over 65,000 kilometres long. This series marked a first time visit by a Eurasian or Australian edition of the franchise to North America, although the first series of the Latin American version was the first, including an Amazing Race first time visit to the nation of Cuba. The United States embargo against Cuba prevents the original American edition from visiting the island. This is also the first version outside of the American edition to circumnavigate the globe.
Three new twists were introduced in this series. The Salvage Pass was awarded in Leg 1, giving the recipient team a choice between an one hour head start or saving the last team from elimination in that leg; and new twists to the U-Turn, the U-Turn in Leg 4 required all teams to vote for the team to be U-Turned at the start of the leg (This twist was also used in the second series of the Israeli version which was also produced by ActiveTV) and the U-Turn in Leg 5 was an Anonymous U-Turn, in which the team who elected to use it willl remain anonymous (This twist was previously used in the 14th and 16th series of the US Version, known as the Blind U-Turn). In Leg 6 a Yield was present and this is the first time it had been seen in the Australian version.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|2, 3, 4||India||0||2|
|4, 5||United Arab Emirates||0||1|
|5, 6, 7||Turkey||0||2|
|7, 8, 9||Cuba||0||2|
|9, 10, 11||Canada||0||2|
Applications for the race ended on 19 August 2011. On 20 April 2012, the teams were announced by the Seven Network.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Shane & Andrew||Cops||8th||7th||6th||5th⊃||5th⊃||6th–||3rd||2nd||2nd||1st||3rd||1st||Shane 5, Andrew 5|
|Paul & Steve||Workmates||10th||6th2||5th||6th⊂||1st⊂||1st>+||1st||1st||1stƒ||4th||2nd||2nd||Paul 6, Steve 3|
|Michelle & Jo||Cheerleader Twins||7th||2nd||3rd||4th⊃||2nd||2nd<+||2nd||3rd||3rd||3rd||1st||3rd||Michelle 5, Jo 5|
|Joseph & Grace||Brother & Sister||6th||8th||7th||3rd⊃||4th||3rd^||7th9||6th||4th||2nd||4th10||Joseph 49, Grace 4|
|Lucy & Emilia||Sisters||11th1||10th||9th||8th||6th||5th–||5th||5th||5th||5th||Lucy 3, Emilia 5|
|James & Sarah||Dating||3rd||9th||8th||1st||7th7||7th~||4th||4th||6th||Sarah 4, James 3|
|Sticky & Sam||Flatmates||5th||1st||1st||2nd⊃||3rd||4th^||6th||7th||Sticky 3, Sam 3|
|Ross & Tarryn||Father & Daughter||1st||4th||2nd||7th⊃||8th7||8th~8||Ross 3, Tarryn 1|
|Kym & Donna||Engaged||2nd||5th2||4th||9th⊃5||Kym 1, Donna 1|
|Sue & Teresa||Hairdressers||4th||3rd||10th||Sue 2, Teresa 0|
|Adam & Dane||Cousins||9th||11th3||Adam 0, Dane 0|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- An italicized purple placement indicates that the team came in last on an elimination leg but were saved by the team with the Salvage Pass.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg of the race and was "Marked for Elimination"; if the team did not finish 1st on the next leg, they would receive a 30-minute penalty.
- A yellow > indicates that the team who chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A brown ⊃ indicates that the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching coloured symbols (orange +, teal ^, magenta –, and olive ~) indicate teams who worked together during part of the leg as a result of the Intersection route marker.
- An underlined leg number indicates that there was no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and all teams were ordered to continue racing.
- Lucy & Emilia arrived at the Pit Stop in last place. However, Ross & Tarryn used their Salvage Pass to save Lucy & Emilia from elimination.
- For unknown reasons, the positioning of Kym & Donna and Paul & Steve were switched after the second leg. Kym & Donna arrived in 6th, but left in 5th. Paul & Steve arrived in 5th, but left in 6th.
- Adam & Dane initially arrived 7th, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for selling off their possessions. As Adam & Dane were waiting out their penalty, the remaining four teams checked in, dropping Adam & Dane to last place and eliminating them.
- Sticky & Sam, Michelle & Jo, Kym & Donna, Paul & Steve, Shane & Andrew, Lucy & Emilia and Teresa & Sue broke more than 15 pots during the pot delivery task and received a 15-minute penalty at the pot drop off point at the other end of the market.
- Kym & Donna could not find their way to the Meydan Racecourse. Hours after all the teams had checked into the Pit Stop, Kym & Donna still had not completed the final challenge. Grant came over to the area where they had spent the night and eliminated them.
- The U-Turn in Leg 5 was an Anonymous U-Turn; Shane and Andrew did not have to reveal themselves to the other teams as having used the U-Turn.
- James & Sarah initially arrived 6th, but were issued a 4-hour penalty for quitting the Roadblock. Lucy & Emilia checked in during their penalty time, dropping them to 7th. Less than 30 minutes later, Ross & Tarryn made their way to the Pit Stop, choosing also to take the same penalty. Grant informed them that they were in last place but it was a non-elimination leg. The penalty was added to the time of the start in the next leg.
- Ross & Tarryn had been "marked for elimination", however, since they checked in last, they were eliminated without the 30-minute penalty.
- Joseph & Grace initially arrived in 6th place, but were issued a 2-hour penalty for pulling another team's belongings out of the taxi. During that time Sticky & Sam checked in, dropping Joseph & Grace to last place, however, Grant gave them a clue and ordered to start the new leg.
- Joseph & Grace failed to make it to the required area of the Great Wall of China for the Roadblock, instead travelling to the Inner Mongolia section of the Great Wall. After all teams had checked in, Grant came out to their location and eliminated them. Joseph elected to perform the Roadblock, but he never got a chance to begin it.
Similar to the second series of the Israeli version, teams on the fourth leg voted for who should receive the U-Turn. The team who has the most votes must complete the other option of the Detour they did not select.
|U-Turned:||Paul & Steve|
|Shane & Andrew||Paul & Steve|
|Paul & Steve||Sticky & Sam|
|Michelle & Jo||Paul & Steve|
|Joseph & Grace||Paul & Steve|
|Lucy & Emilia||Shane & Andrew|
|James & Sarah||Lucy & Emilia|
|Sticky & Sam||Paul & Steve|
|Ross & Tarryn||Paul & Steve|
|Kym & Donna||Paul & Steve|
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Don't Need More Friends, Always Need More Money" – Donna
- "We Only Picked Good Looking Ones" – Lucy
- "I Don't Really Like to Use My Brain" – Grace
- "No More Showing Off" – Grace
- "I Know What a Lime is Daddy!" – Tarryn
- "Take a Seat... My Stunning Specimen of a Man!" – Lucy
- "How Do You Fold Liquid?" – Grace
- "It's a Pit Pause" – Sarah
- "Why Am I Trying to Ride a Log on Icy Water?" – Lucy
- "I Do My Riding Better in the Bedroom" – Steve
- "You Have a Smiley Face on Front" – Jo
- "I'm Sorry My Looks, My Facial Expressions Annoy You!" – Paul
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg.
- Leg 1 - A$10,000 from Swisse Vitamins and the Salvage Pass, which can be used in one of two ways: the team can either give themselves a 1-hour time headstart at the start of the next leg or save the last arriving team from elimination.
- Leg 2 - A trip for two to the Japan MotoGP, with VIP Backstage Passes from Honda, worth A$10,000.
- Leg 3 - A state of the art home entertainment package from Bing Lee, worth A$5,000.
- Leg 4 - A trip for two to Queenstown, New Zealand, from PUMP Water, worth A$10,000.
- Leg 5 - A trip for two to the Australian Rally Championship from Honda, worth A$10,000.
- Leg 6 - A state of the art computer package from Bing Lee, worth A$5,000.
- Leg 8 - A trip for two to Queenstown, New Zealand, from PUMP Water, worth A$10,000.
- Leg 9 - A$10,000 from Southern Cross Travel Insurance.
- Leg 10 - A$10,000 from Swisse Vitamins
- Leg 11 - A$10,000 from Southern Cross Travel Insurance.
- Final leg - A$250,000.
|#||Airdate||Viewers||Total viewers |
|1||30 May 2012||289,000||310,000||107,000||90,000||89,000||886,000 (10)|
|2||6 June 2012||268,000||285,000||133,000||107,000||90,000||883,000 (11)|
|3||13 & 14 June 2012||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||715,000 (N/A)|
|4||20 June 2012||190,000||215,000||103,000||84,000||103,000||695,000 (15)|
|5||25 June 2012||245,000||318,000||142,000||125,000||142,000||971,000 (11)|
|6||2 July 2012||310,000||356,000||155,000||116,000||164,000||1,101,000 (7)|
|7||9 July 2012||317,000||308,000||159,000||117,000||122,000||1,023,000 (9)|
|8||16 July 2012||252,000||302,000||138,000||106,000||115,000||913,000 (10)|
|9||23 July 2012||306,000||328,000||140,000||114,000||126,000||1,014,000 (7)|
|10||13 August 2012||212,000||218,000||130,000||109,000||119,000||787,000 (15)|
|11||14 August 2012||267,000||252,000||149,000||107,000||121,000||896,000 (12)|
|12||15 August 2012||296,000||277,000||171,000||117,000||115,000||976,000 (8)|
- Episode 3, aired on 13 June in most areas and 14 June in New South Wales, Queensland and Australian Capital Territory and because of that, it is unknown how many people watched the show in each area as this episode was not in the top 20 on either night.
- No episodes aired between 30 July and 6 August, to avoid clashing with the 2012 Summer Olympics.
|The Amazing Race Australia 2|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||Australia • Philippines • India • UAE • Turkey • France • Cuba • Canada • China|
|Teams||Adam & Dane • James & Sarah • Joseph & Grace • Kym & Donna • Lucy & Emilia • Michelle & Jo • Paul & Steve • Ross & Tarryn • Shane & Andrew • Sticky & Sam • Sue & Teresa|