The Amazing Race Australia 1
|The Amazing Race Australia 1|
|First Aired||16 May - 1 August 2011|
|Filmed||5 November - 29 November 2010|
|No. of Episodes||12|
|Winners||Tyler Atkins &|
|Distance Traveled||31,000 miles (50,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||11|
|Season 1 ► Season 2|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11|
The Amazing Race Australia 1 is the first installment of the Australian reality television game show, The Amazing Race Australia, based on the American reality television series, The Amazing Race that is broadcast on the Seven Network. The series features eleven teams of two who are in a pre-existing personal relationship, and follow the various challenges that they undertake as they race around the world to win A$250,000. The show is produced by Active TV Australia.
The Amazing Race Australia is hosted by Grant Bowler. The first episode aired on 16 May 2011 at 8:30pm. The series finale was aired on 1 August 2011. Best friends and surfers Tyler & Nathan won the race.
Filming began on 5 November 2010 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne. The race travelled across four continents, 12 countries and 23 cities. Some of the countries visited during the series include: Indonesia and Israel. Indonesia was later visited in the nineteenth series of the original American version in October 2011.
During the Vietnam leg, all route markers were coloured yellow and green instead of yellow and red. This was done to avoid confusion with the former South Vietnamese national flag, which is also yellow and red. The route markers for the Vietnam leg were similar to those used in A Corrida Milionária, the Brazilian version of the race.
Leg 7 was a double-length leg.
|3, 4||Hong Kong||0|
|4, 5, 6||South Africa||2|
|6, 7||Czech Republic||1|
|8, 9, 10||Israel||1|
|10, 11||Sri Lanka||1|
Application deadline for the first series closed on 17 September 2010 (extended from 6 September 2010) initially with the applicants required to be at least 18 years old with citizenship or permanent residency. However, due to insurance issues overseas, the minimum age for applicants was raised from 18 to 21 years of age.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by Leg)||Roadblocks|
|Tyler & Nathan||Surfers||6th||1st||3rd||2nd⊃||1st–||1st||2nd||2nd+||3rd||3rd||2nd7||1st||Tyler 6, Nathan 6|
|Sam & Renae||Models||1st||5th||8thε3||5th||6th~||6th||4th||3rd^5||4th||4th||1st7||2nd||Sam 63, Renae 6|
|Jeff & Luke||Father & Son||4th||4th||6th||4th||3rd–||3rd||3rd||1st+||2nd||2nd||3rd8||3rd||Jeff 6, Luke 6|
|Matt & Tom||Farmers||5th||2nd||5th||1st||2nd+||4th||6th||5th–||1st||1st||4th||Matt 5, Tom 6|
|Dave & Kelly||Married Bikers||2nd||6th||4th||6th||4th^||5th||5th||4th–||5th6||Dave 6, Kelly 3|
|Chris & Anastasia||Dating||7th||3rd||7th||3rd||7th+||2nd||1st||6th^5||Chris 5, Anastasia 3|
|Alana & Mel||Reunited Sisters||9th||10th||2nd||7th||5th^||7th||Alana 2, Mel 4|
|Mo & Mos||Friends||11th||7th2||9th4||8th||8th~||Mo 2, Mos 3|
|Richard & Joey||Married Entrepreneurs||10th||9th||1stƒ||9th⊂||Richard 2, Joey 1|
|Anne-Marie & Tracy||Workmates||8th1||8th||10th4||Anne-Marie 2, Tracy 1|
|Ryot & Liberty||Brother & Sister||3rd||11th||Ryot 2, Liberty 0|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on one of two non-elimination Legs of the race and was "Marked for Elimination"; if the team did not finish 1st on the next Leg, they would receive a 30-minute penalty.
- A purple ε indicates that the team decided to use the Express Pass on that Leg.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A brown ⊃ indicates that the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching coloured symbols (orange +, teal ^, magenta –, and olive ~) indicate teams who worked together during part of the leg as a result of the Intersection route marker.
- Italicised results indicate the position of the team at the midpoint of a double-length Leg.
- Anne-Marie and Tracy arrived in 8th place - however, for an unknown reason the team left the pitstop in 9th place.
- Mo & Mos initially arrived 4th, but were issued a 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" and not arriving 1st. As Mo & Mos were waiting out their penalty, Jeff & Luke, Sam & Renae, and Kelly & Dave checked in, dropping Mo & Mos to 7th.
- Sam & Renae elected to use the Express Pass to bypass the Roadblock in Leg 3. Before using the Express Pass, Sam elected to perform the Roadblock and this is reflected in the total Roadblock count.
- Mo & Mos elected to take the four-hour penalty for not completing the Roadblock in Leg 3. During their penalty time, Anne-Marie & Tracey, the only team trailing Mo & Mos at that point, also elected to take the four-hour penalty for not completing the Roadblock, but because Mo & Mos had began their penalty time earlier than Anne-Marie & Tracy, both teams were called to the check-in mat and Mo & Mos were checked in as 9th, with the remainder of the penalty time being issued at the start of Leg 4, and Anne-Marie and Tracy being eliminated without the penalty being issued.
- Sam & Renae and Chris & Anastasia arrived in 1st and 2nd, respectively, but both teams were penalized for quitting the Intersection task. Chris & Anastasia were given the full 4-hour penalty for electing to quit the task, while Sam & Renae were given a 2-hour penalty for being forced to by Chris & Anastasia's quitting . During this time Jeff and Luke and Tyler and Nathan checked in resulting in Sam & Renae's final placement for the Leg dropped to 3rd, while Chris & Anastasia finished 6th and were eliminated.
- Dave & Kelly failed to reach the Masada Pit Stop and after all other teams had checked in, Grant came out to their location and eliminated them.
- Sam & Renae and Nathan & Tyler initially arrived 1st and 2nd, respectively, however both took unregistered taxis to the Roadblock and they each received a 20 minute penalty at the Pit Stop. This did not ultimately affect either of their final placements.
- Jeff & Luke bought 2nd class tickets on the train to Galle, when the clue instructed them to purchase 3rd class tickets. For this, they incurred a 10 minute penalty upon leaving Galle Station.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Nothing's Smooth Sailing with Us" – Tracy
- "Like Four Seasons in a Day" – Chris
- "We've Got Pain, But We've Not Lost Any Weight" – Anne-Marie
- "A Town That Was 15-20 Letters Long" – Nathan
- "The Woman-ness to Realize Where You Went Wrong" – Chris
- "The Last Team Will Spend the Night in the Dungeon" – Last Clue (paraphrased)
- "It's Just Like Where's Wally" – Tom
- "At Least the View's Nice" – Chris
- "When I Saw Everyone Freezing to Death" – Kelly
- "I Hope We Don't Have to Wear a Crown of Thorns" – Tom
- "You the Nice Cowboy" – Israeli Taxi Driver to Matt & Tom
- "You're Good at Spending Money" – Tyler & Nathan's Fortune Teller, in Mandarin Chinese, through a Translator
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg.
- Leg 1 – A$10,000 from National Australia Bank and The Express Pass – an item that can be used on the race to skip any one task of the team's choosing.
- Leg 2 – Two tickets to the 2011 AFL Grand Final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and a VIP tour of the National Sports Museum.
- Leg 3 – A$10,000 from National Australia Bank.
- Leg 4 – A$5,000 shopping spree at Kathmandu.
- Leg 5 – A$5,000 home entertainment system from Bing Lee.
- Leg 6 – A$5,000 shopping spree at Kathmandu.
- Leg 7 – A$10,000 from National Australia Bank.
- Leg 8 – A$5,000 personal computer package from Bing Lee.
- Leg 9 – A$10,000 from National Australia Bank.
- Leg 10 – A$5,000 home entertainment system from Bing Lee.
- Leg 11 – A$250,000
|#||Airdate||Viewers||Total viewers |
|1||16 May 2011||338,000||437,000||183,000||124,000||176,000||1,258,000 (5)|
|2||23 May 2011||340,000||403,000||177,000||113,000||111,000||1,144,000 (7)|
|3||30 May 2011||305,000||413,000||165,000||115,000||137,000||1,135,000 (9)|
|4||6 June 2011||307,000||393,000||161,000||133,000||172,000||1,165,000 (7)|
|5||13 June 2011||336,000||386,000||160,000||143,000||136,000||1,161,000 (7)|
|6||20 June 2011||337,000||410,000||199,000||112,000||155,000||1,213,000 (7)|
|7||27 June 2011||312,000||352,000||149,000||123,000||140,000||1,075,000 (7)|
|8||4 July 2011||271,000||344,000||167,000||110,000||141,000||1,032,000 (8)|
|9||11 July 2011||301,000||335,000||149,000||97,000||157,000||1,039,000 (9)|
|10||18 July 2011||303,000||344,000||175,000||125,000||177,000||1,124,000 (7)|
|11||25 July 2011||253,000||333,000||143,000||118,000||117,000||963,000 (10)|
|12||1 August 2011||293,000||408,000||162,000||121,000||211,000||1,195,000 (6)|
|The Amazing Race Australia 1|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11|
|Countries||Australia • Indonesia • Vietnam • Hong Kong • Macau • South Africa • Netherlands • Czech Republic • Poland • Israel • Palestine • Sri Lanka • Singapore|
|Teams||Alana & Mel • Anne-Marie & Tracy • Chris & Anastasia • Dave & Kelly • Jeff & Luke • Matt & Tom • Mo & Mos • Richard & Joey • Ryot & Liberty • Sam & Renae • Tyler & Nathan|