The Amazing Race Asia 5
|The Amazing Race Asia 5|
|First Aired||13 October - December 15, 2016|
|Filmed||8 August – 26 August 2016|
|No. of Episodes||10|
|Winners||Parul Shah &|
|Distance Traveled||12,000 km (7,500 mi)|
|No. of Legs||10|
|Season 4 ◄ Season 5|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10|
The Amazing Race Asia 5 is a reality television game show based on the American series, The Amazing Race.
The fifth installment premiered on AXN Asia on 13 October 2016 and promises to be the most adrenaline-fueled season ever. Eleven teams chosen from across the region will compete in a high-octane dash around the world for a chance at the winning crown and USD$100,000 in cash.
Allan Wu is back to host his fifth season of The Amazing Race Asia and 11th season of The Amazing Race franchise overall. Wu is paired up with Tara Basro, an Indonesian film actress in hosting this season's Indonesian legs.
With Wonderful Indonesia's sponsorship, this is the first season to stay in a country for more than 2 consecutive legs.
11 teams competed on this season, compared to the previous four seasons which all featured 10. However, one team was eliminated at the starting line in a twist. This season feature's the series' first team from Vietnam, as well as the first time that Hong Kong was not represented.
Indonesian Deputy Minister of Tourism Sapta Nirwandar sent the teams off at the Starting Line. This is the first time in any edition worldwide that the Race was not started by the host.
The Speed Bump was introduced this season, replacing Marked for Elimination as the penalty for arriving last on a Non-Elimination Leg. Unlike other versions of the race, this season warned teams of an upcoming Fast Forward in the leg's first clue.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10||Indonesia||2||5|
Casting began on 23 May 2016 and applications were closed on 30 June 2016 (18 days extended from the original deadline of 12 June 2016).
The following teams participated in the race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Parul & Maggie||Beauty Queens||7th||6th||5th||3rd||4th||3rd||4th||3rd||2nd>||1st||Parul 5, Maggie 5|
|Yvonne & Chloe||Beauty Queens||9th||1st||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd||2nd||4th||3rd||2nd||Yvonne 5, Chloe 5|
|Eric & Rona||Married Couple||4th||4th||6th||4th||3rd||4th||5th||2nd||1st⊃||3rd||Eric 5, Rona 5|
|Treasuri & Louisa||Childhood Friends||2nd||3rd||1st||1st||1st||5th||3rd||1st||4th<⊂||Treasuri 5, Louisa 4|
|JK & Mike||Radio DJs||3rd||8th||7th||7th||5th||1st||1st||5th||JK 4, Mike 4|
|Anita & Tom||Dating||8th||2nd||4th||2nd||6th||6th||Anita 2, Tom 3|
|Will & Alex||Brothers||5th||7th||2nd||6th||7th||Will 2, Alex 2|
|Rach & Vicky||Travel Hosts||6th||5th||8th||8th||Rach 1, Vicky 2|
|Alphaeus & Brandon||Old School Mates||1st||9th||Alphaeus 1, Brandon 0|
|Rei & Keiji||Siblings||10th||Rei 0, Keiji 0|
|Lisa & Nicole||Life Partners||11th1||Lisa 0, Nicole 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump during the next leg of the race.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- A yellow > indicates that the team who chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it. <> around a leg number indicates that the Yield was not used.
- A brown ⊃ indicates that the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it. ⊂⊃ around a leg number indicates that the U-Turn was not used.
- Lisa & Nicole were eliminated at the Starting Line as per the provisions of the first task.
Episode Title Quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "The Race is On!" – Alex
- "From Hero to Zero" – Yvonne
- "The Value of Insurance" – Roadblock prompt
- The Pain Does Not Exist
- "Taste Like Chicken" – Treasuri
- Made With Love
- By Air, Land and Sea
- "Should Have Turned Left" – JK
- No More Mr. Nice Guy
- "One Hell of a Race Day" – Maggie
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg.
- Leg 1 – A trip for two to Bali, Indonesia.
- Leg 5 – A trip to any Garuda Indonesia destination.
- Leg 7 – Lounge, courtesy of Garuda Indonesia.
- Leg 10 – US$100,000.
|The Amazing Race Asia 5|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10|
|Countries||Indonesia • Malaysia • Thailand • Vietnam • Philippines • Singapore|
|Teams||Alphaeus & Brandon • Anita & Tom • Eric & Rona • JK & Mike • Lisa & Nicole • Parul & Maggie • Rach & Vicky • Rei & Keiji • Treasuri & Louisa • Will & Alex • Yvonne & Chloe|