The Amazing Race Asia 3
|The Amazing Race Asia 3|
|First Aired||11 September - 20 November, 2008|
|No. of Episodes||11|
|Winners||Vince Chung &|
|Distance Traveled||13,400 miles (21,600 km)|
|No. of Legs||11|
|Season 2 ◄ Season 3 ► Season 4|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11|
The Amazing Race Asia 3 is the third installment of the reality television game show The Amazing Race Asia. The season premiered on 11 September 2008 and consists of 11 episodes, two episodes fewer than the first and second seasons. The season finale aired on 20 November 2008.
In 2009, the series was nominated for an International Emmy Award for Best Non-Scripted Entertainment, losing to the Dutch reality series The Phone.
The Amazing Race Asia 3 covered 21,600 kilometres in six countries. Route markers were coloured yellow and white in Vietnam to avoid confusion with the former flag of South Vietnam. This season introduced the U-Turn marker, while the Intersection was not included. This season, like the American version's Family Edition and Brazilian version, was the first to have had the entire Race take place in one continent, Asia (previous seasons covered at least two continents). Unlike past seasons, this was the first race to not have the first leg as a non-elimination leg. This season also had the number of episodes decreased from 13 to 11.
According to AXN, this season is dubbed as "the toughest race ever" compared to previous seasons as both contestants and crew personnel experienced high fatigue during the Race due to the faster pace and shorter break times. During filming, one production crew member was even hospitalized.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 2, 11||Thailand||1||2|
|2, 3, 4||Vietnam||0||2|
|4, 5, 6||Taiwan||0||2|
|6, 7, 8||Hong Kong||1||1|
|8, 9, 10||India||1||2|
Applications for Season 3 due on 3 March 2008 (extended from the original deadline on 25 February 2008). Interviews for semi-finalists and finalists were held sometime around March or April 2008. Filming was expected to have taken place around the middle of 2008.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Vince & Sam||Best Buddies||7th1||3rd||2nd||2nd||1stƒ||1st||2nd||4th||1st||3rd5||1st||Vince 4, Sam 5|
|Geoff & Tisha||Dating||2nd||5th||5th||6th||4th||3rd||1st>||1st||3rd⊃||2nd||2nd||Geoff 5, Tisha 5|
|Ida & Tania||Actress & Heiress||5th||6th||3rd||1st||5th||5th||5th||3rd4||2nd||1st||3rd||Ida 5, Tania 5|
|A.D. & Fuzzie||Friends 15 Years||8th||2nd||4th||5th||3rd||4th||3rd||2nd||4th⊂||4th5||A.D. 4, Fuzzie 5|
|Henry & Bernie||Brother & Sister||3rd||1st||1st||4th||2nd||2nd||4th<||5th||Henry 3, Bernie 4|
|Mai & Oliver||Friends||1st||8th||6th||3rd||6th3||Mai 1, Oliver 2|
|Niroo & Kapil||Father & Son||9th||4th||7th||7th2||Niroo 1, Kapil 23|
|Pailin & Natalie||Beauty Queens||4th||7th||8th2||Pailin 1, Natalie 12|
|Isaac & William||Brothers||6th||9th||Isaac 0, William 1|
|Neena & Amit||Cousins||10th||Neena 0, Amit 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- A blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a Pit Stop in a non-elimination leg of the race:
- An underlined blue placement indicates that the team was "Marked for Elimination"; if the team did not place 1st in the next leg, they would receive a 30 minute penalty.
- An italicized blue placement indicates that the team had to relinquish all of their money and were not alloted money for the next leg.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A yellow > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Vince & Sam initially arrived 5th, but they did not pay the taxi driver. They were asked to pay the taxi first before they could be checked in. Ida & Tania and Isaac & William checked in during that time period, dropping them to 7th.
- Pailin & Natalie (Leg 3) and Niroo & Kapil (Leg 4) were incurred a 4-hour penalty at the respective elimination legs because Natalie and Kapil respectively failed to complete their respective Roadblocks. However, since the teams arrived in last on each leg, each team were eliminated without being assessed the 4-hour penalty.
- Mai & Oliver failed to complete the leg after having fallen too far behind the other teams during the leg's first task. Hours after all the teams had checked in, Mai & Oliver still had not completed neither the Roadblock nor the Detour. Allan came over to the area where they had spent the night and eliminated them.
- Ida & Tania arrived 2nd, but received a 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" and not arriving first. A.D & Fuzzie checked during their penalty time, dropping them to 3rd.
- Vince & Sam and A.D. & Fuzzie incurred a four-hour penalty because Sam and Fuzzie failed to complete the Roadblock respectively. A.D. & Fuzzie were further issued another 30 minute penalty for being "marked for elimination" because they did not check in first. As A.D. & Fuzzie had a longer penalty time, Vince & Sam were allowed to check in for a 3rd place finish and the penalty time would be assessed instead at the start of the next leg, and A.D. & Fuzzie were eliminated without being issued the penalty.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "The Toughest Race Ever" – Season Tagline
- "I Wanna Be A Man" – Bernie
- "You Are Running Away, Nobody's Helping Me" – Niroo
- "Where's Our Car?" – Kapil
- "You See How They're Not Fighting All The Time" – Oliver
- "I Think I'm Cuter" – Sam
- "What The Fish?" – Tania
- "The Gloves Are Coming Off, The War Paint Is Coming On" – Vince
- "Are People Here Funny?" – A.D.
- "I'm Telling You Right Now There's No Giving Up" – Vince
- "The Moment You've Been Racing For And The Moment We've Been Waiting For" – Allan Wu
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg.
- Leg 1 – US$2,500 for each team member, courtesy of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Leg 2 – Free fuel with techron for a year, courtesy of Caltex.
- Leg 3 – A Sony Handycam for each team member.
- Leg 4 – A Nokia N96 handphone for each team member.
- Leg 5 – A three-day, two-night holiday in Ko Samui, Thailand, courtesy of Singha Beer.
- Leg 6 – A three-day, two-night holiday in Ko Samui, Thailand, courtesy of Singha Beer.
- Leg 7 – A Sony BRAVIA and Sony PlayStation 3 for each team member.
- Leg 8 – A holiday in Hong Kong, courtesy of Caltex.
- Leg 9 – A Nokia N96 handphone for each team member.
- Leg 10 – US$2,500 for each team member, courtesy of Standard Chartered Bank.
- Leg 11 – US$100,000
|The Amazing Race Asia 3|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11|
|Countries||Thailand • Vietnam • Taiwan • Hong Kong • Macau • India • Oman|
|Teams||A.D. & Fuzzie • Geoff & Tisha • Henry & Bernie • Ida & Tania • Isaac & William • Mai & Oliver • Neena & Amit • Niroo & Kapil • Pailin & Natalie • Vince & Sam|