The Amazing Race Asia 1
|The Amazing Race Asia 1|
|First Aired||9 November, 2006 - 1 February, 2007|
|No. of Episodes||13|
|Winners||Zabrina Fernandez &|
Joe Jer Tee
|Distance Traveled||24,000 miles (39,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
|Season 1 ► Season 2|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race Asia 1 is the first season of the reality television game show The Amazing Race Asia. The show features ten teams of two, with a pre-existing relationship, in a race around Asia and Pacific Rim to win US$100,000. Applications were accepted through 31 March 2006. The season began on 9 November 2006 and the season finale aired on 1 February 2007.
Malaysian Co-workers Zabrina & Joe Jer are the winners of the race. They were the first all female team to win in the "The Amazing Race" franchise and at the time were the first team to win without relying on a Fast Forward or a Yield.
In October 2005, Buena Vista International Television-Asia Pacific and Sony Pictures Television International's AXN Asia announced that it had earned the right to produce the first localised production of The Amazing Race. AXN Asia, which airs the original American series, had received many written requests for an Asian production from local viewers.
|1, 2, 12||Malaysia||2|
|2, 3, 4||Indonesia||2|
|5, 6, 7||New Zealand||2|
|7, 8, 9||Thailand||2|
|10, 11, 12||United Arab Emirates||2|
Applications for the 21st season were due on May 9, 2012.
The following teams participated in the race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by Leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Zabrina & Joe Jer||Co-Workers||3rd||4th||5th||6th||3rd||3rd||6th||5th||4th||4th||3rd||2nd||1st||Zabrina 6, Joe Jer 6|
|Sandy & Francesca||Dating||10th||9th||2nd||3rd||5th||1st||4th||3rd||5th||1st>||1st||3rd||2nd||Sandy 6, Francesca 6|
|Andrew & Syeon||Dating||5th1||8th||8th||1st||2nd||4th||2nd||4th||2nd||3rd||2nd||1st||3rd||Andrew 6, Syeon 6|
|Mardy & Marsio||Brothers||1st||2nd||6th||4th||6th||5th||5th||1stƒ||3rd||2nd||4th||4th||Mardy 4, Marsio 6|
|Andy & Laura||Engaged||7th||7th||7th||7th4||1st||2nd7||1st||2nd||1st||5th<||Andy 5, Laura 4|
|Howard & Sahran||Best Friends||8th2||3rd||1st||8th5||4th||6th||3rd||6th||Howard 4, Sahran 3|
|Melody & Sharon||Best Friends||6th||5th||3rd||2nd||7th||7th||Melody 3, Sharon 2|
|Sahil & Prashant||Models||9th2||1stƒ||4th||5th||8th6||Sahil 2, Prashant 2|
|Aubrey & Jacqueline||Actress/Model||4th||6th||9th||Aubrey 1, Jacqueline 1|
|Ernie & Jeena||Married||2nd||10th||Ernie 1, Jeena 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a Pit Stop in a non-elimination Leg of the race. The teams were forced to relinquish all of their money and were not allotted money for the next Leg, nor were they allowed to acquire money until they started the next Leg.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A yellow > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; < indicates the team who received it; <> around the Leg number indicates that the Yield for that Leg was available but not used.
- Italicised results indicate the position of the team at the midpoint of a two-episode Leg.
- Andrew & Syeon initially arrived 1st. However, they did not follow the trail as instructed in their clue to the Pit Stop, and were asked to complete it before checking in. Four teams checked in during that time period, dropping them to 5th.
- For unknown reasons on the subsequent Leg, the starting placements of Howard & Sahran and Sahil & Prashant were switched, resulting in Howard & Sahran starting in 8th place and Sahil & Prashant starting in 9th.
- Five of the nine teams arrived at the Pit Stop after applied a four-hour penalty for failed to complete the Roadblock (only Joe Jer, Marsio, Andy, Syeon and Aubrey). The initial placements for all teams are as follows (The four boldfaced teams were not given the penalty): 1st: Zabrina & Joe Jer; 2nd: Howard & Sahran; 3rd: Sandy & Francesca; 4th: Mardy & Marsio; 5th: Andy & Laura; 6th: Andrew & Syeon; 7th: Melody & Sharon; 8th: Sahil & Prashant; 9th: Aubrey & Jacqueline. However, Aubrey & Jacqueline were not issued the penalty and was eliminated.
- Laura suffered an injury to her left Leg on the way to Oceanworld. After the tests were done, she was allowed to continue the next Leg of the race.
- Howard and Sahran were issued a four-hour penalty because Howard failed to complete the Roadblock. They checked in the Pit Stop last, but were notified as a non-elimination Leg. The 4-hour penalty they took from the roadblock would be instead applied at the starting time at Leg 5.
- Sahil & Prashant initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 1-hour penalty because they were driven around in a private vehicle in Devonport, breaking a Race rule prohibiting hitch-hiking. The last three teams (Sandy & Francesca, Mardy & Marsio and Melody & Sharon) checked in during their penalty time and were eliminated before the one hour penalty had elapsed.
- Andy and Laura were caught speeding at 146 km/h while the speed limit was 100 km/h. The penalty was 2 minutes times the number of km/h by which they had exceeded the speed limit. They were issued a 92-minute penalty to be assessed at the start of the following Leg, therefore departing at the pit-start last.
- Leg 9 is a double-length Leg with two Detours and two Roadblocks, shown over two episodes. The Yield appeared before the second Detour.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- I Don't Think I Can Do This – Sahran
- They're Speedy, They're Fast And They're First – Howard
- Give Me The Strength, Give Me The Strength – Howard
- Just Shut Up And Do It – Mardy
- It's Blowing Like Your Mum's Pants On A Windy Day – Howard
- What Have You Been Eating! – Zabrina
- Don't Stand There Doing Nothing! – Andy
- My Legs Are Shaking Like Jelly – Andrew
- This Is Totally, Totally Out Of This World! – Marsio
- War Has Begun! – Andy
- This Is Going To Be Embarrassing! – Zabrina
- Oh My Goodness, I Have To Eat A Brain! – Syeon
- 24 Days, 15 Cities, 39,000 Kilometres And It Comes Down To This – Allan Wu
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg.
- Leg 3 – Each member won a Sony High-Definition Handycam
- Leg 7 – A year's supply of an engine-cleaning fuel, Caltex.
- Leg 9 – A holiday to Langkawi, Malaysia, courtesy of AirAsia.
- Leg 11 – A holiday to Gold Coast, Australia, courtesy of Caltex.
- Leg 12 – US$100,000
|The Amazing Race Asia 1|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||Malaysia • Indonesia • Australia • New Zealand • Singapore • Thailand • India • United Arab Emirates|
|Teams||Andrew & Syeon • Andy & Laura • Aubrey & Jacqueline • Ernie & Jeena • Howard & Sahran • Mardy & Marsio • Melody & Sharon • Sahil & Prashant • Sandy & Francesca • Zabrina & Joe Jer|