The Amazing Race 9
|The Amazing Race 9|
|First Aired||February 28 - May 17, 2006|
|Filmed||November 7 - December 3, 2005|
|No. of Episodes||13|
|Winners||BJ Averell &|
|Distance Traveled||59,000 miles (95,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
|All Stars||Eric Sanchez &|
|Season 8 ◄ Season 9 ► Season 10|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race 9 is the ninth installment of The Amazing Race. The show premiered on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 and concluded on May 17, 2006.
Best friends BJ & Tyler were the winners of The Amazing Race 9.
The Amazing Race 9 lasted 27 days and traveled over 59,000 miles (95,000 km) and filming ran from November 7 to December 3, 2005. The race visited ten countries in five continents, three of which were previously unvisited. The three new countries were Greece, Oman and Japan, as well as Brazil, Russia, Germany, Italy (Sicily), Australia and Thailand also being listed as race destinations. This race had the second longest route course (The Amazing Race 5 was the longest).
This race was the first one to start and end at the same location, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, near Denver. Other races have started and ended in the same city (Season 1 in New York City and Season 6 in Chicago), but the location of the start and stop lines have been in different parts of the city.
This is the first race in which on every leg at least once the teams had to drive themselves somewhere.
Due to scheduling conflicts with the season finale and the premiere of the film adaptation of The Da Vinci Code, Eric & Jeremy stated that they were unable to attend the premiere of the movie at the Cannes Film Festival, which was their prize for gaining first place on Leg 6. Eric & Jeremy later stated that CBS was going to give them a different prize to make up for it.
Following the "Family Edition" experiment of Season 8, which featured teams of four racing in the United States and Central America, this season returned to the traditional format of eleven teams of two competing in a race around the world. The teams included hippie best friends, a couple married 40 years, and sisters living in different states.
On August 27, 2006, Season 9 won a Primetime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program", the fourth consecutive award for the television series. Producers nominated this season instead of the critically lambasted Family Edition, which was also eligible for the award.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 12||USA||8 (All)||1|
|1, 2, 3||Brazil||1||2|
|4, 5, 6||Italy||2||2|
|8, 9, 10||Australia||2||2|
Applications for The Amazing Race 9 were closed on July 26, 2005 (a day after the original deadline). Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in September 2005 and final casting interviews took place in October 2005.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks completed|
|BJ & Tyler||Best Friends||2nd||1st||4th||2nd||1st||2nd||5th2||5th||3rd||4th>||1stƒ||1st||1st||BJ 6, Tyler 5|
|Eric & Jeremy||Friends||1st||2nd||1st||1st||2nd||1st||1stƒ||4th||1st||2nd||2nd||2nd||2nd||Eric 6, Jeremy 5|
|Ray & Yolanda||Dating||7th||5th||3rd||7th||7th||6th||3rd2||3rd||4th||1st||3rd||3rd||3rd||Ray 6, Yolanda 53|
|Joseph & Monica||Dating||6th||3rd||8th||6th||3rd||3rd||2nd||2nd||2nd||3rd<||4th||Joseph 5, Monica 5|
|Fran & Barry||Married 40 years||8th||9th||5th||4th||4th||4th||4th||1st||5th||Fran 4, Barry 4|
|Lake & Michelle||Married Parents||5th||7th||2nd||3rd||5th>||5th||6th2||Lake 4, Michelle 2|
|Dave & Lori||Dating||4th||4th||9th||5th||6th||7th||Dave 3, Lori 2|
|Danielle & Dani||Childhood Friends||9th||8th||6th||8th||8th<||Danielle 1, Dani 3|
|Wanda & Desiree||Mother/Daughter||3rd||6th||7th||9th||Wanda 1, Desiree 2|
|Lisa & Joni||Sisters||10th||10th||Lisa 0, Joni 1|
|John & Scott||Lifelong Friends||11th||John 0, Scott 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a pit stop in a non-elimination leg of the race. The teams were forced to relinquish all of their money and belongings (except for passports and the clothes on their back) for the remainder of the race. In addition, they were not allotted money for the next leg and were not allowed to collect money until the next leg started for them.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A gold > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; gold < indicates the team who received it.
- Italicised results indicate the position of the team at the midpoint of a two-episode leg.
- Leg 3 was double-length, with two Detours and two Roadblocks, shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the leg's halfway point.
- Ray & Yolanda (who initially arrived 2nd) and BJ & Tyler (5th) were each issued a 15-minute penalty for taking a bus instead of a train all the way to the Isthmos Train Station. While the penalty resulted in Ray & Yolanda dropping to 3rd, BJ & Tyler's placement was not affected. Lake & Michelle were eligible to be penalized for the same infraction, but they were the last team to arrive to the pit stop, resulting in their elimination.
- While neither Ray nor Yolanda was shown performing the Roadblock on the final leg before arriving at the Finish Line, a montage shown on The Early Show the next day showed Yolanda as the member who had done the Roadblock task. This is included in the Roadblock count.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Here We Go, Baby, Off to Win a Million Bucks!" – John
- "I'm Filthy And I Love It" – Monica
- "I'm In Russia Playing With Dolls" – Jeremy
- "It's Not Over Until The Phil Sings" – Tyler
- "Good Thing I Took That Human Anatomy Class in High School" – "Tyler
- "Sleep Deprivation Is Really Starting to Irritate Me" – Lake
- "Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes" – Tyler
- "Here Comes The Bedouin" – Fran
- "Do You Know How Much Running I Did Today, Phil?" – Jeremy
- "Man, They Should Have Used Their Fake Names" – Eric
- "I Think This Monkey Likes Me" – Eric
- "5 Continents, 9 Countries, More Than 59,000 Miles" – Phil Keoghan
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg unless otherwise noted.
- Leg 1 - $10,000 cash for each racer.
- Leg 2 - All expense paid trip to Tahiti sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 3 - All expense paid trip to Africa, including whitewater rafting down the Zambezi River, an elephant-back safari, and seeing Victoria Falls, sponsored by Travelocity, for the first team to bring a Travelocity gnome (collected during the Roadblock in the second half of this leg) to the pit stop. By coincidence, Eric & Jeremy, who were the first to reach the pit stop, were also the first ones to bring the gnome to the pit stop, and thus won the prize.
- Leg 4 - Digital imaging package from Duracell.
- Leg 5 - Cruise for two to Mexico sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 6 - Trip to The Da Vinci Code movie premiere in Hollywood, California (The prize was awarded to the first team to arrive at the Pit Stop bearing two parchments and demonstrating that, when combined, they revealed a picture of Leonardo Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man and a coded message; the first team to arrive at the Pit Stop and show the message and were awarded the prize).
- Leg 7 - All expense paid trip to Rome sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 8 - All expense paid trip to Hong Kong sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 9 - Two one-year leases for Mercedes-Benz ML350s like the ones driven on the leg.
- Leg 10 - Cruise around Sydney Harbour, a tour of the Hunter Valley wine district and the Great Barrier Reef; as well, a luxury hotel room for the time that they would normally be at the Pit Stop (The prize on this leg was awarded to the team that had a picture of a "golden gnome" in an envelope they received with the Roadblock and Fast Forward clues and were told not to open until they reached the Pit Stop. Ray & Yolanda had the golden gnome and won.)
- Leg 11 - Two T-Mobile Sidekicks, each with three years of free service.
- Leg 12 - $1,000,000
|1||"Here We Go, Baby, Off to Win a Million Bucks!"||2.32||#6|
|2||"I’m Filthy, and I Love It"||2.08||#9|
|3||"I’m in Russia Playing With Dolls"||2.55||#3|
|4||"It’s Not Over Until the Phil Sings"||2.55||#3|
|5||"Good Thing I Took That Human Anatomy Class in High School"||2.26||#7|
|6||"Sleep Deprivation Is Really Starting to Irritate Me"||2.15||#5|
|7||"Herculean Effort for Some Herculean Dudes"||2.22||#7|
|8||"Here Comes The Bedouin"||2.35||#4|
|9||"Do You Know How Much Running I Did Today, Phil?"||1.97||#10|
|10||"Man, They Should Have Used Their Fake Names"||2.09||#9|
|11||"I Think This Monkey Likes Me"||2.18||#8|
|12||"5 Continents, 9 Countries, More Than 59,000 Miles"||2.45||#4|
|The Amazing Race 9|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||United States • Brazil • Russia • Germany • Italy • Greece • Oman • Australia • Thailand • Japan|
|Teams||BJ & Tyler • Danielle & Dani • Dave & Lori • Eric & Jeremy • Fran & Barry • John & Scott • Joseph & Monica • Lake & Michelle • Lisa & Joni • Ray & Yolanda • Wanda & Desiree|