The Amazing Race 8 Leg 5
|Starting Line||Preservation Hall|
|Pit Stop||Miraflores Locks|
|Last Place||Godlewski Family|
Louis Armstrong International Airport
- New Orleans, Louisiana
- Distance: 12 miles
Tocumen International Airport
- Panama City, Panama
- Distance: 1602 miles
Here, teams had to choose a 'Red Devil Bus', known locally as Diablo Rojo, which they would use to transport themselves for the rest of the leg.
Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
- Distance: 22.6 miles
Here, teams boarded a motor boat that would take them to their next destination.
Barro Colorado Island
- Distance: 8.93 miles
Teams had to search the island for a man named Ricardo Diaz, who would hand them their next clue. They then had to return by boat to Gamboa and re-board their Diablo Rojo.
- Distance: +24 miles
Fast Forward: Families wishing to pursue the Fast Forward had to find this pier along the Panama Canal. They had to ascend to the top of a crane and would then perform a tandem bungee jump, two team members at a time, from a distance of 140 feet above the ground. Once all four team members had made the leap, they would receive the Fast Forward clue.
- Paolo & Family
Casco Viejo / El Parque Metropolitan
- Panama City
- Distance: 26.4 miles/23.1 miles
- Rhythm: Teams had to travel to the old town of Panama, where they had to search on foot for four musical instruments. They had to find a saxophone at the Teatro Nacional de Panamá, a trumpet at Escuela Simón Bolívar, a conga drum at Casa Góngora and a trombone at the Instituto Nacional de Cultura. Finally, they had to deliver all four instruments to the Take Five Jazz and Wine club where the band leader would hand them their next clue.
- Gaghan Family, Godlewski Family, Linz Family
- Coos: Teams had to find Panama City's Metropolitan Park, where they had to find an overlook. There, they would find binoculars and a bird identification chart. They had to search the park's trees for five distinct wooden birds, and had to circle these five species on the chart. If they were correct, they would receive their next clue.
- Bransen Family, Weaver Family
Estadio Juan Demostenes Arosemena
- Panama City
- Distance from Take Five Jazz and Wine Club: 1.44 miles
- Distance from El Parque MEtropolitan: 1.72 miles
Roadblock: At this baseball stadium, teams would find a Roadblock clue. Who can hit in a pinch? The chosen team member would step up to the baseball plate and had to face off against a champion little league pitcher. If the team member could successfully hit a base hit or a home run, they would receive their next clue. Only one team member at a time could attempt this challenge, but they would return to the back of the queue if they failed three times.
- Beth Bransen, Bill Gaghan, Sharon Godlewski, Nick Linz, Rolly Weaver
- Panama City
- Distance: 3.84 miles
Pit Stop: This was a non-elimination leg. The last-place team was required to surrender all of their accumulated money, begin the next leg with $0 to their name, and also surrender all possessions they had except the clothes on their backs and their passports.
- Prize: Gamboa Rainforest Resort package at the Panama Canal, Panama provided by Travelocity
|Paolo Family||2nd||A||1st||2nd||1stƒ||1stƒ||1stƒ||1stƒ||Tony 1, Marion 0, DJ 2, Brian 1|
|Weaver Family||5th||B||5th||3rd||2nd B||2nd||2nd||2nd||Linda 0, Rebecca 2, Rachel 0, Rolly 3|
|Bransen Family||1st||A||3rd||4th||3rd B||3rd||3rd||3rd||Wally 1, Beth 2, Lauren 1, Lindsay 1|
|Linz Family||3rd||2nd||5th||4th A||4th||4th||4th||Nick 2, Alex 1, Megan 0, Tommy 2|
|Gaghan Family||6th||B||4th||6th||6th A||6th||5th||5th||Bill 2, Tammy 1, Billy 1, Carissa 1|
|Godlewski Family||4th||5th||1st||5th A||5th||6th||6th||Michelle 1, Sharon 2, Christine 1, Tricia 1|
- An A indicates that teams completed the Rhythm Detour, while a B indicates that teams completed the Coos Detour.
- A bold team member in the Roadblock count indicates the team member who completed this leg's Roadblock.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg.
|The Amazing Race 8|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11|
|Countries||United States • Panama • Costa Rica • Canada|
|Teams||Aiello Family • Black Family • Bransen Family • Gaghan Family • Godlewski Family • Linz Family • Paolo Family • Rogers Family • Schroeder Family • Weaver Family|