The Amazing Race 7
|The Amazing Race 7|
|First Aired||March 1 - May 10, 2005|
|Filmed||November 20 - December 19, 2004|
|No. of Episodes||13|
|Distance Traveled||40,000 miles (64,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
Rob Mariano &
|Season 6 ◄ Season 7 ► Season 8|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race 7 is the seventh installment of The Amazing Race. The season premiered on March 1, 2005. It aired on CBS in the United States on Tuesday nights at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with the season finale on May 10, 2005.
Married couple Uchenna & Joyce were the winners of The Amazing Race 7.
Development and filming
The Amazing Race 7 lasted 29 days and traveled nearly 40,000 mi (64,000 km). Filming began on November 20, 2004 and finished on December 19, 2004. The teams raced in ten countries, five of them were previously unvisited. The new countries were Peru, Chile, Botswana, Turkey and Jamaica. Puerto Rico, an American territory in the Caribbean, also appeared for the first time.
This was the first edition to not strictly circumnavigate the world (by crossing the International Date Line exactly once); once teams traveled as far east as India, they returned to the United States traveling westward through Europe and the Caribbean. However, the route does approach that of a great circle on the globe.
In this edition of the race, a change was made to the non-elimination leg penalty. In addition to being stripped of all their money and receiving no allowance for the next leg of the race, teams were forced to surrender all of their possessions, except for their passports and the clothes they were wearing, for the remainder of the race. (This penalty came to be referred to as "mugging" by fans.) They were also no longer allowed to beg for money prior to the start of the next leg (after the next leg started, they can beg for money). The racers could also receive or buy clothing or toiletries from other teams.
Leg 3 of this race featured a difficult Roadblock in which players had to eat four pounds of meat and organs. Four players actually quit the food eating task: Rob, Meredith, Deana, and Patrick; the most anyone has ever quit a task in a single leg. Although it was not aired on television or in the DVD, Patrick quit the Roadblock but later decided to complete it. The aired portion had Patrick eating and finishing the meat and never did take the four hour penalty.
Host Phil Keoghan greeted teams at the check in mat midway through Leg 8 to hand them their next clue, marking the first time in the history of The Amazing Race that teams have stepped on the check in mat to be handed their next clue and to have their next clue handed to them by Keoghan.
Controversy surrounded the final leg of the race: when Rob & Amber and Uchenna & Joyce arrived at the airport in San Juan, they were both sold tickets for a flight leaving later than one whose gate was about to close. While Rob & Amber managed to get on this earlier departing flight, Uchenna & Joyce were shown through the gate as the boarding corridor between the gate exitway and airplane began to shut. After a commercial break, the boarding corridor reopened to the gate to pick up Uchenna and Joyce. No explanation was given as to why the gate reopened, which has led to widespread speculation about intervention by the production staff. In the "Revisiting the Race" special feature on the Season 7 DVD, Uchenna, Rob, and host Phil Keoghan deny the accusations of intervention by the production crew. Uchenna describes his experience with finding the same airline agent at the gate who had previously informed him that there was no earlier available flight. Rob describes Uchenna running around frantically trying to get onto the flight, which the final edited version of the show does not portray. Phil cites the fact that the decision to reopen the door rested solely with the pilot, and that intervention by the production crew would have resulted in someone leaking such information out.
Uchenna & Joyce were originally slated to be contestants on The Amazing Race 6. They were sequestered in Santa Monica, California but were cut at the last minute before the race began in Chicago.
Uchenna & Joyce are the 1st team that ever came back from no money from the last leg and won the amazing race. Joyce revealed in a 2011 interview that they are now divorced.
Rob & Amber and Uchenna & Joyce were selected to race in The Amazing Race All-Stars among a cast of returning teams from seasons 1-10.
In September 2005, Season 7 won the Primetime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program", the third consecutive award for the television series. Although Seasons 5 and 6 were also eligible, producers chose Season 7 since it was the most recent installment of the show.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 12||USA||6 (All)||1|
|3, 4, 5||Argentina||1||2|
|5, 6||South Africa||2||1|
|6, 7, 8||Botswana||0||2|
Applications for The Amazing Race 7 were closed on August 11, 2004. Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in September 2004 and final casting interviews were held in Los Angeles between September and October 2004. Filming took place between November to December 2004.
The following teams participated in the race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Uchenna & Joyce||Married||8th||4th||2nd||3rd||6th||3rd||3rd2||3rd||1stƒ||1st||3rd||3rd||1st||Uchenna 6, Joyce 5|
|Rob & Amber||Engaged||3rd||1st||5th1||1st||5th||2nd||1st||1st||3rd||3rd||1st>||2nd||2nd||Rob 6, Amber 6|
|Ron & Kelly||Former POW/Pageant Queen||10th||2nd||4th||4th||2nd||1st||2nd||2nd||2nd||4th||2nd<||1st||3rd||Ron 6, Kelly 6|
|Meredith & Gretchen||Married/Retired||6th||7th||7th1||7th||7th||5th||5th3||5th||4th||2nd||4th||Meredith 6, Gretchen 4|
|Lynn & Alex||Boyfriends||5th||5th||1st||5th||4th||4th||4th||4th||5th||Lynn 4, Alex 4|
|Brian & Greg||Brothers||4th||9th||3rd||2nd||3rd||6th||6th||Brian 3, Greg 3|
|Ray & Deana||Dating On and Off||7th||3rd||6th1||6th||1stƒ||7th||Ray 2, Deana 2|
|Susan & Patrick||Mother/Son||2nd||8th||8th||8th||Susan 1, Patrick 2|
|Debbie & Bianca||Lifelong Friends||1st||6th||9th||Debbie 2, Bianca 0|
|Megan & Heidi||Roommates||9th||10th||Megan 1, Heidi 0|
|Ryan & Chuck||Best Friends||11th||Ryan 0, Chuck 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a pit stop in a non-elimination leg of the race. The teams were forced to relinquish all of their money and belongings (except for passports and the clothes on their back) for the remainder of the race. In addition, they were not allotted money for the next leg.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- A gold > indicates that the team chose to use the Yield; gold < indicates the team who received it; gold <> around a leg number indicates a leg where the Yield was available but not used.
- Italicized results indicate the position of the team at the midpoint of a two-episode leg.
- Rob, Meredith and Deana decided to forfeit the Roadblock; their teams were all issued 4-hour penalties at the Roadblock site starting from the arrival of the next team.
- Uchenna & Joyce initially arrived 3rd, but they didn't complete the Roadblock correctly and were forced to finish it. This did not affect their placement.
- Meredith & Gretchen initially arrived 4th, but they missed their final clue at the end of the Roadblock, Lynn & Alex checked in during that time period, dropping them to 5th.
- Leg 8 was double-length with two Detours and two Roadblocks shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the leg's halfway point. The leg's Fast Forward was offered after the halfway point, and thus permitted Uchenna & Joyce to skip only the second set of challenges. The Yield appeared before the first Roadblock.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Courteous? This is a Race!" – Megan
- "The Whole Country Hates Me" – Lynn
- "Do You Need Some Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation?" – Gretchen
- "What A Gaucho You Are!" – Gretchen
- "I've Been Wanting A Face-Lift for A Long Time" – Gretchen
- "Houston, We Have An Elephant" – Uchenna
- "They Saved The Eyeball" (recap) – Gretchen
- "Mow 'Em Down, Like Grass" – Ron
- "We Have A Bad Elephant" – Gretchen
- "We Got a Gnome! We Got a Gnome!" – Joyce
- "The Devil Made Me Do It" – Kelly
- "Five Continents, 25 Cities, And More Than 40,000 Miles" – Phil Keoghan
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg unless otherwise noted.
- Leg 1 - $10,000 cash for each racer.
- Leg 2 - A trip to Atlantis Paradise Island, Bahamas, staying at the Royal Towers, courtesy of Travelocity.
- Leg 4 - A trip to London, staying five nights in the Landmark hotel, courtesy of Travelocity.
- Leg 5 - Two Toyota RAV4 vehicles.
- Leg 7 - A trip to Monaco courtesy of Travelocity.
- Leg 9 - $20,000 shopping spree on Travelocity.com and a four-star hotel room stay for the Pit Stop. Awarded to Ron & Kelly, who won a special gnome searching challenge. The prize was awarded to the team that had an airplane on the bottom of their gnome, regardless of them placing first or not. Ironically, Ron & Kelly who received the prize, came last and were stripped of all their cash and their belongings.
- Leg 10 - A JVC home entertainment system for each racer.
- Leg 12 - $1,000,000
|1||"Courteous? This Is a Race! "||n/a||n/a||4.9/12||11.76|
|2||"The Whole Country Hates Me"||7.2||11||4.8/12||11.69|
|3||"Do You Need Some Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation"||n/a||n/a||5.0/12||12.71|
|10||"We Got a Gnome! We Got a Gnome!"||8.3||13||5.2/12||13.27|
|11||"The Devil Made Me Do It"||8.0||12||5.2/13||12.84|
|12||"Five Continents, 25 Cities, And More Than 40,000 Miles"||9.6||15||6.8/11||16.01|
|1||"Courteous? This Is a Race”||2.93||#1|
|2||"The Whole Country Hates Me”||2.70||#5|
|3||"Do You Need Some Mouth-to-Mouth Resuscitation?”||3.04||#1|
|4||"What a Gaucho You Are”||2.94||#1|
|5||"I've Been Wanting a Face-Lift for a Long Time”||3.14||#3|
|6||"Houston, We Have an Elephant”||3.41||#1|
|7||"Mow 'Em Down, Like Grass”||3.04||#3|
|8||"We Have a Bad Elephant”||3.36||#2|
|9||"We Got a Gnome! We Got a Gnome!”||3.33||#1|
|10||"The Devil Made Me Do It”||3.27||#1|
|11||"Five Continents, 25 Cities, and More Than 40,000 Miles”||3.84||#1|
|The Amazing Race 7|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||United States • Peru • Chile • Argentina • South Africa • Botswana • India • Turkey • United Kingdom (England) • Jamaica • Puerto Rico|
|Teams||Brian & Greg • Debbie & Bianca • Lynn & Alex • Megan & Heidi • Meredith & Gretchen • Ray & Deana • Rob & Amber • Ron & Kelly • Ryan & Chuck • Susan & Patrick • Uchenna & Joyce|