The Amazing Race 5 Leg 1
|Starting Line||Santa Monica Pier|
|Winners||Alison & Donny|
|Last Place||Dennis & Erika|
Santa Monica Pier
- Santa Monica, California, United States of America
- Starting Line
The race began with Phil welcoming the eleven teams, explaining the basic rules of the race, and shouting "Go!" Teams raced across the pier to find vehicles that they would use to travel to the airport and begin their journey.
Los Angeles International Airport
- Los Angeles
- Distance: 7 miles
The first seven teams to arrive would be on the first flight to Montevideo. The last four teams would be on the last flight.
Carrasco International Airport
- Montevideo, Uruguay
- Distance: 6219 miles
Upon arrival at the airport, teams needed to catch a bus to their next destination, which did not depart very often.
- Punta del Este
- Distance: 62.3 miles
The Hand in the Sand
- Punta del Este
- Distance: 0.12 miles
Teams only had to cross the street a few yards away to find their next clue at the base of this monument that represents the last thing one can see when someone drowns.
- Distance: 2.1 miles
Teams had to make their way to the docks of Punta del Este to catch a boat to Gorriti Island. There, they had to search the entire island for 11 trees that contained one of three departure times attached. Once teams took a departure time, they could not exchange it for another. In the morning, teams would be taken back to the mainland at these times.
José Francisco González Meat Warehouse
- Distance: 4.8 miles
Here, teams would receive a 55lbs slab of meat, which they had to carry on foot through the streets of Maldonado to a butcher house.
Yield: While transporting their meat from the warehouse to the butcher house, teams would pass the first Yield of the race.
- Not Used
La Rosada Carniceria
- Distance: 0.47 miles
Teams had to exchange their heavy slab of meat to the butcher, who would hand them their next clue. They could then travel by taxi to the next location.
- Punta del Este
- Distance: 3.11 miles
- Zips: Teams traveled to the roof of the hotel's tower, where they had to cross a tightrope suspended 210ft above the ground from one tower to another. They then had to ride a frightening zipline from the roof down to the hotel's pool, after which they would be handed their next clue.
- Alison & Donny, Bob & Joyce, Brandon & Nicole, Colin & Christin, Dennis & Erika, Jim & Marsha, Linda & Karen
- Chips: Teams would receive 20 casino chips and had to use them, a maximum five at a time, to play roulette. If the ball landed on a number chosen by the teams, they would receive their next clue. However, if they ran out of chips, they would be forced to instead complete the Zips task.
- Charla & Mirna, Chip & Kim, Kami & Karli, Marshall & Lance
- Punta Ballena
- Distance: 6.68 miles
- Prize: A vacation to Hawaii provided by American Airlines website AA.com
|Alison & Donny||1st||A||3rd||A||A||1st||1st||1st||2nd||1st A||1st||Alison 0, Donny 0|
|Marshall & Lance||1st||B||10th||D||C||11th||9th||9th||4th||3rd B||2nd||Marshall 0, Lance 0|
|Linda & Karen||1st||A||6th||C||A||2nd||4th||2nd||1st||2nd A||3rd||Linda 0, Karen 0|
|Bob & Joyce||1st||5th||A||3rd||3rd||3rd||3rd||4th A||4th||Bob 0, Joyce 0|
|Charla & Mirna||1st||4th||B||B||4th||2nd||4th||7th||5th B||5th||Charla 0, Mirna 0|
|Brandon & Nicole||1st||1st||C||C||9th||7th||7th||5th||6th A||6th||Brandon 0, Nicole 0|
|Colin & Christie||1st||B||9th||D||7th||8th||8th||8th||7th A||7th||Colin 0, Christie 0|
|Chip & Kim||1st||11th||10th||11th||11th||10th||9th B||8th||Chip 0, Kim 0|
|Kami & Karli||1st||A||2nd||A||B||6th||5th||5th||11th||11th B||9th||Kami 0, Karli 0|
|Jim & Marsha||1st||7th||B||5th||6th||6th||6th||8th A||10th||Jim 0, Marsha 0|
|Dennis & Erika||1st||B||8th||D||C||8th||10th||10th||9th||10th A||11th||Dennis 0, Erika 0|
- An A indicates that teams completed the Zips Detour, while a B indicates that teams completed the Chips Detour.
- A bold team member in the Roadblock count indicates the team member who completed this leg's Roadblock.
|The Amazing Race 5|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13|
|Countries||United States • Uruguay • Argentina • Russia • Egypt • Kenya • Tanzania • United Arab Emirates • India • New Zealand • Philippines • Canada|
|Teams||Alison & Donny • Bob & Joyce • Brandon & Nicole • Charla & Mirna • Chip & Kim • Colin & Christie • Dennis & Erika • Jim & Marsha • Kami & Karli • Linda & Karen • Marshall & Lance|