The Amazing Race 4
|The Amazing Race 4|
|First Aired||March 29 - August 21, 2003|
|Filmed||January 18 - February 14, 2003|
|No. of Episodes||13|
|Winners||Reichen Lehmkuhl &|
|Distance Traveled||44,000 miles (71,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||13|
|Season 3 ◄ Season 4 ► Season 5|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13|
The Amazing Race 4 is the fourth installment of The Amazing Race. The season premiered on May 29, 2003. It aired on CBS in the United States on Thursday nights at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT with the season finale on August 21, 2003.
Married couple Reichen & Chip were the winners of The Amazing Race 4.
The fourth season of The Amazing Race spanned 44,000 miles (71,000 km) in four continents. Filming began on January 18, 2003 and finished on February 14, 2003.
At the time the show was filmed and broadcast, same-sex marriage was not legally recognized in the United States. Reichen & Chip were never legally married, however they were married in a religious ceremony; CBS decided to honor their description of themselves as "married" for the purposes of the show.
During the final leg, David & Jeff were stuck in Sydney for so long during the last leg that they never reached the final part of the leg in Phoenix, Arizona. Along with Joe & Bill on Season 1, they are one of the only teams in Race history to reach the final leg without crossing the finish line.
This was the last season where ties were allowed at the mat (and the subsequent distribution of additional first place prizes should there be a tie for first place). In subsequent seasons, even if teams arrived at the mat at the same time, an order would be determined, and the official check in times for teams arriving simultaneously would set a minute apart to avoid tying situations. The exception was Oswald & Danny and Uchenna & Joyce of The Amazing Race: All-Stars, who completed a Fast Forward together via the Intersection. This was also the last season where the Fast Forward appeared in every leg.
Post-race interviews showed that Russell & Cindy broke up and no longer speak to each other. Moreover, Russell did not participate in the "After the Race" interview on the official CBS website.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 13||USA||3 (All)||1|
|1, 2, 3||Italy||1||2|
|6, 7, 8||India||1||2|
|8, 9, 10||Malaysia||1||2|
|10, 11||South Korea||0||1|
|11, 12, 13||Australia||1||2|
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Reichen & Chip||Married||9th||2nd||3rd||5th||4th||2nd||5th||2nd||1stƒ||2nd||3rd1||2nd||1st||Reichen 4, Chip 7|
|Kelly & Jon||Engaged||6th||3rd||8th||7th||3rd||3rd||3rd||5th||4th||1st||2nd||3rd||2nd||Kelly 2, Jon 10|
|David & Jeff||Best Friends||10th||5th||7th||6th||6th||1st||1st||4th||3rd||4th||1stƒ||1st||3rd2||David 5, Jeff 7|
|Jon & Al||Best Friends/Clowns||7th||6th||6th||2nd||2nd||6th||2nd||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Jon 5, Al 5|
|Millie & Chuck||Dating 12 Years/Virgins||1st||8th||5th||2nd||1stƒ||4th||4th||3rd||5th||Millie 2, Chuck 5|
|Tian & Jaree||Friends/Models||11th||4th||4th||1stƒ||7th||5th||6th||Tian 6, Jaree 0|
|Monica & Sheree||NFL Wives/Moms||4thƒ||10th||2nd||4th||5th||7th||Monica 3, Sheree 2|
|Steve & Dave||Air Traffic Controllers||5th||1stƒ||9th||8th||8th||Steve 2, Dave 1|
|Steve & Josh||Father/Son||1st||9th||1stƒ||9th||Steve 0, Josh 2|
|Russell & Cindy||Friends/Dating||8th||7th||10th||Russell 2, Cindy 0|
|Amanda & Chris||Dating||1st||11th||Amanda 0, Chris 1|
|Debra & Steve||Married Parents||12th||Debra 0, Steve 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a pit stop in a non-elimination leg of the race.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- Reichen & Chip initially arrived 2nd, but they drove to the Pit Stop instead of traveling on foot and were issued a 35-minute penalty. As Reichen & Chip were waiting out their penalty, Kelly & Jon checked in, dropping Reichen & Chip to 3rd.
- David & Jeff had fallen so far behind that they were unable to complete the final leg. Once David & Jeff reached Hawaii and arrived at the first route marker, they were informed that the race was over.
Episode title quotes
Titles for episodes are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!" – Sheree
- "It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come First Served...And We're Bigger" – Reichen
- "I Wasn't Even Going To Touch You Until You Slammed My Head Backwards" – Millie
- "Check Your Tires Because...Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!" – Steve (of Steve & Dave)
- "You Are Just Deliberately Trying To Make Us Lose!" – Jaree
- "I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now" – Reichen
- "We're Going Down The Wrong Side Of The Freeway...And The Lights Are Off!" – Tian
- "The Princess Reminded Me of My Grandmother. She Was Very Old But Still Very, Very With It" – David
- "We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "That's Me. That's My Face. Just Hit My Face. Hit My Face!" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "Such a Nice Pheromone Smell to You; Just Makes Me Want to Stay Close to You" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "He's A Couple Of Ticks Away From Having A Heart Attack" – Jon (of Kelly & Jon)
- "It's Like Adam Building His First House!" – Kelly
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete a leg.
- Leg 1 - A vacation to Hawaii provided by American Airlines.
- Leg 5 - A seven-day Mexican Rivera cruise vacation on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 6 - A seven-night cruise to Hubbard Glacier on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 7 - A seven-night cruise vacation to the Western Caribbean on Royal Caribbean.
- Leg 8 - A vacation to Mexico, compliments of American Airlines website.
- Leg 9 - A festive Latin American vacation courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 10 - A Caribbean vacation, courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 11 - A vacation to Mexico courtesy of American Airlines website.
- Leg 12 - A vacation to Europe compliments of American Airlines Website.
- Leg 13 - $1,000,000
|1||"Cheaters Never Win...And They Cheated!"||6.5||11||4.4/12||9.94|
|2||"It Doesn't Say Anything About First Come First Served...And We're Bigger"||5.3||10||3.2/11||8.27|
|4||"Check Your Tires Because...Oh God, You Never Know What'll Happen!"||N/A||N/A||3.7/11||7.59|
|5||"You Are Just Deliberately Trying to Make Us Lose!"||N/A||N/A||2.9/10||7.86|
|6||"I Could Have Never Been Prepared For What I'm Looking At Right Now"||5.2||10||3.0/11||8.05|
|9||"We're Not at Charm School Learning How to Be a Gentleman, We're Racing"||5.6||11||3.3/12||8.60|
|13||"It's Like Adam Building His First House!"||6.1||11||3.6/12||9.58|
|The Amazing Race 4|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13|
|Countries||United States • Italy • Austria • France • Netherlands • India • Malaysia • South Korea • Australia|
|Teams||Amanda & Chris • David & Jeff • Debra & Steve • Jon & Al • Kelly & Jon • Millie & Chuck • Monica & Sheree • Reichen & Chip • Russell & Cindy • Steve & Dave • Steve & Josh • Tian & Jaree|