The Amazing Race 22
|The Amazing Race 22|
|First Aired||February 17 - May 5, 2013|
|Filmed||November 13 - December 7, 2012|
|No. of Episodes||11|
|Distance Traveled||30,000 miles (48,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
|All-Stars||Caroline Cutbirth &|
Joey Graceffa &
Jessica Hoel &
|Season 21 ◄ Season 22 ► Season 23|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race 22 was the twenty-second installment of the reality television show The Amazing Race. The season premiered on February 17, 2013, at 8:00 p.m. EST/PST on CBS and CTV, with the two-hour season finale on May 5, 2013.
Professional hockey players and brothers Bates & Anthony were the winners of The Amazing Race 22.
This season was broadcast in the mid-season of the 2012–13 TV season. In an interview with TV Guide, Keoghan revealed that the Double Your Money prize introduced in the previous season would not be included in Season 22. Instead, the twist this season was that the winners of the first Leg were awarded two Express Passes: one for themselves and another that had to be given away to another team before the end of Leg 4.
The season spanned 30,000 miles through ten countries in five different continents. This season featured the Race's first ever visit to the French overseas territory of French Polynesia, where teams skydived above the island of Bora Bora. Other tasks and travel destinations included "Shemozzle racing" in New Zealand, hunting scorpions with Bushmen in Botswana, and climbing the north face of the Eiger in Switzerland.
This season marked the first time that a team had been eliminated while still in possession of the Express Pass since its introduction as well as the first time in the American show a team was subject to two separate U-Turns during the Race.
Contestant Dave O'Leary tore his Achilles tendon near the end of Leg 2. Though he and his son, Connor, continued in the race for another two legs (with Dave being forced to use a medical boot, crutches, and a wheelchair while in airports), they elected to withdraw from the competition at the start of Leg 5 after Dave was advised by his physician to have surgery on his ankle within two weeks of the original injury. Though Dave & Connor traveled to Hanoi, Vietnam, with the remaining teams, they did not participate in any tasks in the leg. Instead, after arriving in Hanoi they proceeded directly to the Pit Stop to be formally eliminated. Dave returned to the United States in time to have the surgery to repair the tendon the day before the Race's filming completion, and as of March 2013, he is expected to be in rehab for about a year.
In Leg 5, in order to avoid confusion with the flag of former South Vietnam, there were no route markers present in that leg. Previous editions of the program, as well as its international counterparts, have used solid yellow or yellow and white flags instead.
Additionally, the Leg 5 episode in Hanoi sparked ire amongst some conservative media analysts and viewers for the tasks involving a performance of a communist propaganda song and the brief visit to a B-52 bomber that was shot down by North Vietnamese forces during the Vietnam War and turned into a memorial for communist Vietnam's victory. Complaints came in from sources such as the national commanders of the American Legion and VFW; the Media Research Center's Culture and Media Institute and liberal Democrat strategist and Fox News Channel pundit Bob Beckel also spoke of their disgust in the program's choices. Yahoo! TV later reported on comments from viewers found on Twitter whose complaints ranged from threatening to no longer watch the series or statements that the episode was "weird" or "disrespectful to Americans killed [in Vietnam]". Prior to the start of the episode for Leg 6, CBS aired an apology, noting that portions of the previous episode were insensitive to United States Armed Forces veterans. The message, read by host Phil Keoghan, stated, "We want to apologize to veterans - particularly those who served in Vietnam - as well as to their families and any viewers who were offended by the broadcast. All of us here have the most profound respect for the men and women who fight for our country."
During Leg 7, Max and Jennifer were both issued speeding tickets by the Botswana Police Service after going through a speed trap. Botswanan law requires that tickets be paid before the end of the day, so both teams stopped racing in order to pay the fines before moving on. Unlike in previous seasons where racers have been penalized for receiving speeding tickets, the teams did not receive any additional penalties.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 12||USA||21 (All)||1|
|1, 2, 3||French Polynesia||0||2|
|3, 4||New Zealand||3||1|
|6, 7, 8||Botswana||1||2|
|11, 12||Northern Ireland||0||1|
Applications for The Amazing Race 22 were closed on November 2, 2012.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Bates & Anthony||Hockey Brothers||2nd||1st||3rd||7th||4th||1st||1stƒ||1st||4th||2nd⊃||2nd||1st||Bates 6, Anthony 6|
|Max & Katie||Newlyweds||9th1||8th||8th||3rd||2nd||7th||6th||3rd||1st||1st⋑||1st||2nd||Max 7, Katie 6|
|Mona & Beth||Roller Derby Moms||5th||6th||7th||6th||3rd||6th||2nd||2nd||5th||4th⋐||3rd||3rd||Mona 6, Beth 7|
|Caroline & Jennifer||Country Singers||10th1||7th||6th||4th||5th||5th||3rd||4th||3rd||3rd||4th||Caroline 6, Jennifer 6|
|Joey & Meghan||YouTube Hosts||6th||4th||5th||5th||6th⊂⋑||4th||5th||5th||2nd||5th⊂||Joey 6, Meghan 5|
|Chuck & Wynona||Married||7th||5th||9th||8th||7th⋐||3rd||4th||6th4||Chuck 5, Wynona 4|
|Pam & Winnie||Best Friends||4th||9th||4th||2nd||1st⊃||2nd||7th||Pam 4, Winnie 4|
|Dave & Connor||Father/Son||3rd||2nd||1stə2||1st||8th3||Dave 1, Connor 4|
|Jessica & John||Dating||1st||3rd||2nd||9th||Jessica 2, John 3|
|Idries & Jamil||Twin Doctors||8th||10th||Idries 1, Jamil 2|
|Matt & Daniel||Firefighters||11th1||Matt 1, Daniel 1|
- A red team placement means the team was eliminated.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward.
- A purple ε indicates that the team decided to use the first Express Pass on that leg; if next to a leg number, it indicates that the team with the first Express Pass was eliminated on that Leg without ever having used it. A magenta ə indicates the team had previously been given the second Express Pass and used it on that leg.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump during the next leg of the race.
- An underlined leg number indicates that there was no mandatory rest period at the Pit Stop and all teams were ordered to continue racing. The first place team was still awarded a prize for that leg.
- A brown ⊃ or a cyan ⋑ indicates that the team chose to use one of the two U-Turns in a Double U-Turn; ⊂ or ⋐ indicates the team who received it.
- Katie, Jennifer, and Daniel elected to quit the second Roadblock. Max & Katie and Caroline & Jennifer were issued 4-hour penalties for their forfeits that were applied at the start of the next Leg. However, Matt & Daniel were the last team to arrive and were instead eliminated from the Race.
- Jessica & John gave Dave & Connor their second Express Pass while traveling from Bora Bora to Christchurch for Leg 3. Dave & Connor later used it to bypass the Leg 3 Detour.
- Dave & Connor elected to withdraw from the Race at the start of Leg 5 due to an injury Dave sustained during Leg 2. They traveled to Hanoi with the other teams, but instead of running the Leg they were allowed to go directly to the Pit Stop to ask Phil to remove them from the Race, resulting in their elimination.
- Chuck & Wynona initially arrived 5th, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for rolling their cheese wheels down the hill during the Switchback instead of using the provided sled as their clue instructed. Joey & Meghan, the only team trailing Chuck & Wynona at that point, checked in during the penalty period, dropping Chuck & Wynona to last place and resulting in their elimination.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Business in the Front, Party in the Back" – Chuck
- "Loose Lips Sink Ships" – John
- "Like James Bond Again" – Meghan
- "I Love Monkeys!" – Pam
- "Your Tan Is Totally Cool" – Pam
- "Scorpion King Hunter" – Joey
- "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow" – Wynona
- "My Cheese Is Out of Control" – Caroline
- "The Ultimate Fun House" – Joey
- "Working Our Barrels Off" – Bates
- "Beacon of Hope" – a non-racer to Caroline & Jennifer
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. Trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 – Two Express Passes – an item that can be used on the race to skip any one task of the team's choosing. The winning team keeps one for themselves but must relinquish the second to another team before the end of the fourth leg of the race.
- Leg 2 – A trip for two to London
- Leg 3 – A trip for two to Bangkok
- Leg 4 – $5000 each
- Leg 5 – A ski trip for two to Whistler
- Leg 6 – A trip for two to Phuket
- Leg 7 – $7500 each
- Leg 8 – A trip for two to Bora Bora
- Leg 9 – A 2013 Ford Fusion for each
- Leg 10 – $10 000 each
- Leg 11 – A trip for two to the Dominican Republic
- Leg 12 – $1 000 000
No episode aired on April 7, 2013, due to CBS and CTV's broadcasts of the Academy of Country Music Awards.
U.S. Nielsen ratings
|1||February 17, 2013||"Business in the Front, Party in the Back"||5.5||8||2.5/6||9.57||1||1||13||14|
|2||February 24, 2013||"Loose Lips Sink Ships"||4.0||6||1.9/4||6.95||2||2 (tie)||<25||<25|
|3||March 3, 2013||"Like James Bond Again"||5.4||8||2.5/6||9.24||1||1||15||15|
|4||March 10, 2013||"I Love Monkeys!"||5.5||9||2.4/7||9.27||1||1||14||13|
|5||March 17, 2013||"Your Tan Is Totally Cool"||5.3||8||2.3/6||8.91||1||1 (tie)||16||13|
|6||March 24, 2013||"Scorpion King Hunter"||5.6||8||2.4/6||9.33||1||2||14||17|
|7||March 31, 2013||"Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow"||5.6||9||2.3/6||9.24||1||1||14||20|
|8||April 14, 2013||"My Cheese Is Out of Control"||6.0||9||2.3/6||9.76||1||1 (tie)||19||18|
|9||April 21, 2013||"The Ultimate Fun House"||5.4||9||2.4/7||9.16||1||1||14||10|
|10||April 28, 2013||"Working Our Barrels Off"||5.4||9||2.4/7||9.32||1||1||18||14|
|11||May 5, 2013||"Beacon of Hope"||5.5||9||2.4/7||9.10||1||1||21||18|
- Episode 2, "Loose Lips Sink Ships", aired on the same night as the 85th Academy Awards.
- Episode 7, "Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow", aired on Easter Sunday; the broadcast was subsequently delayed by 41 minutes in the Eastern/Central market due to the 2013 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament's Midwest Regional and South Regional final matches.
- Episode 8, "My Cheese Is Out of Control", was delayed by 56 minutes in the Eastern/Central market due to the 2013 Masters golf tournament.
Canadian broadcaster CTV also aired The Amazing Race on Sundays. Episodes aired at 8:00 p.m. Eastern, Central, and Atlantic (9:00 p.m. Pacific and Mountain), with two exceptions. The broadcast of the second episode conflicted with CTV's broadcast of the 85th Academy Awards; The Amazing Race was instead shown at 8:00 p.m. in the Atlantic time zone, at 7:00 p.m. in the Eastern time zone, and at 6:00 p.m. in the Central time zone, and immediately after the broadcast of the Oscars in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. The broadcast of the ninth episode conflicted with CTV's broadcast of the 2013 Juno Awards; The Amazing Race was instead shown at 7:00 p.m. in each time zone across the country.
|1||February 17, 2013||"Business in the Front, Party in the Back"||2.283||3|
|2||February 24, 2013||"Loose Lips Sink Ships"||1.825||11|
|3||March 3, 2013||"Like James Bond Again"||2.447||2|
|4||March 10, 2013||"I Love Monkeys!"||2.230||4|
|5||March 17, 2013||"Your Tan Is Totally Cool"||2.499||2|
|6||March 24, 2013||"Scorpion King Hunter"||2.409||3|
|7||March 31, 2013||"Be Safe and Don't Hit a Cow"||2.056||3|
|8||April 14, 2013||"My Cheese Is Out of Control"||2.345||2|
|9||April 21, 2013||"The Ultimate Fun House"||1.950||3|
|10||April 28, 2013||"Working Our Barrels Off"||2.400||3|
|11||May 5, 2013||"Beacon of Hope"||2.116||5|
|The Amazing Race 22|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||United States • French Polynesia • New Zealand • Indonesia • Vietnam • Botswana • Switzerland • Germany • United Kingdom (Scotland, Northern Ireland, England)|
|Teams||Bates & Anthony • Caroline & Jennifer • Chuck & Wynona • Dave & Connor • Idries & Jamil • Jessica & John • Joey & Meghan • Matt & Daniel • Max & Katie • Mona & Beth • Pam & Winnie|