The Amazing Race 2
|The Amazing Race 2|
|First Aired||March 11 - May 15, 2002|
|Filmed||January 7 - February 3, 2002|
|No. of Episodes||11|
|Winners||Chris Luca &|
|Distance Traveled||52,000 miles (84,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||13|
|All Stars||Oswald Mendez &|
|Season 1 ◄ Season 2 ► Season 3|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13|
The Amazing Race 2 is the second installment of The Amazing Race. The season premiered on March 11, 2002. It aired on CBS in the United States on Wednesday nights at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with the season finale on May 15, 2002.
This season visited 8 countries, with first time visits to Brazil, Namibia, Hong Kong, Australia and New Zealand. This season also had first time visits to the continents of Oceania and South America.
Childhood friends Chris & Alex were the winners of The Amazing Race 2.
The second edition of The Amazing Race traveled 52,000 miles in 28 days. Filming occurred between January and February of 2002.
The Amazing Race 2 marked the debuts of several Race traditions. The color scheme for all route markers and flags was changed to yellow and red after the previous season's yellow and white. In addition, host Phil Keoghan and a local greeter welcomed all teams arriving at the Pit Stop at the end of each leg; previously, Phil appeared only to greet (and usually eliminate) the last-place team.
Contestant Cyndi Kalenberg, of Cyndi & Russell claimed that there was confusion about the vehicle replacement rules in Leg 2, in which the racers were told that if their designated jeep broke down, the racers themselves would have to pay for repairs and wait for it to be fixed. Blake & Paige, however, were given a new vehicle when their jeep broke down; this helped them beat Hope & Norm in a race for second-to-last place to the Pit Stop, in which Blake & Paige won, meaning that Hope & Norm were eliminated. Since the next season, Race policy is that a team will receive a replacement if a production-provided vehicle breaks down or becomes unsafe to drive through no fault of the team, though the team will not be given any time credit for the situation.
Towards the end of the final leg, Chris and Alex passed Tara (and later Wil) in a foot race to the finish line. This marks the closest finish in the American edition of The Amazing Race; the second season of the Latin American version ended with the winning team besting the second-place team by just a few yards.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 12, 13||USA||1 (All)||2|
|1, 2, 3||Brazil||0||2|
|3, 4||South Africa||1||1|
|5, 6, 7||Thailand||1||2|
|7, 8||Hong Kong||0||1|
|8, 9, 10||Australia||0||2|
|10, 11, 12||New Zealand||0||2|
The following teams participated in the Race, each listed along with their placements in each leg and relationships as identified by the program. Note that this table is not necessarily reflective of all content broadcast on television, owing to the inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order:
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Chris & Alex||Lifelong Friends||6th||2nd||7th||7th4||1st||6th||2nd||2nd||1stƒ||3rd||3rd||3rd||1st||Chris 5, Alex 6|
|Tara & Wil||Separated Couple||1st||3rd||2nd||2nd||3rd||5th||3rd||4th||3rd||2nd||1stƒ||1st5||2nd||Tara 4, Wil 7|
|Blake & Paige||Brother/Sister||4th||9th||5th||4th||4th||3rd||5th||5th||2nd||1stƒ||2nd||1st||3rd||Blake 8, Paige 3|
|Oswald & Danny||Best Friends||8th||7th||1st||1stƒ||6th||4th||4th||1st||4th||4th||4th||Oswald 6, Danny 3|
|Gary & Dave||Former Roommates||9th||5th||3rd||3rd4||5th||2nd||1stƒ||3rd||5th||Gary 2, Dave 5|
|Mary & Peach||Sisters||7th||4th||4th||5th||2nd||1st||6th3||Mary 3, Peach 2|
|Cyndi & Russell||Pastors/Married Parents||2nd||6th||8th||6th||7th||Cyndi 1, Russell 3|
|Shola & Doyin||Twins||3rd||1stƒ||5th||8th3||Shola 0, Doyin 1|
|Peggy & Claire||Grandmothers||10th||8th||9th2,3||Peggy 0, Claire 1|
|Hope & Norm||Married Parents||4th||10th||Hope 0, Norm 1|
|Diedre1 & Hillary||Mother/Daughter||11th||Deidre 0, Hillary 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- An underlined blue team placement indicates that the team was the last to arrive at a Pit Stop in a non-elimination leg of the race.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- There is ambiguity over the spelling of Deidre's name. In the first two episodes, the opening and on-screen graphics show her name as "Deidre". Beginning with the third episode, the opening shows her name as "Diedre".
- Peggy & Claire left the Pit Start in Foz do Iguaçu over 37 minutes late because they overslept and missed their departure time. This did not affect their overall placement in Leg 3.
- In their respective elimination legs, Peggy & Claire, Shola & Doyin, and Mary & Peach were all well behind on the course when all other teams checked in. Instead of being allowed to complete all tasks left in the leg, they were each instructed to go directly to the Pit Stop for elimination.
- Gary & Dave initially arrived 2nd, and Chris & Alex arrived 7th, but they were each issued a retroactive 42-minute penalty for speeding during the leg. Both teams served their penalties before beginning the next leg; this dropped Gary & Dave to 3rd to depart, while Chris & Alex remained in 7th.
- Tara & Wil initially arrived 2nd, but were given a 1-minute credit due to a minor production difficulty. They were declared to have tied for first with Blake & Paige, and were also given the prize for winning the leg as a result.
Episode title quotes
Starting with this season, episode titles are taken from quotes made by the racers in each episode. Quotes are sometimes altered slightly for humorous effect.
- "The World Is Waiting: Go!" – Phil Keoghan
- "Help Me, I'm American!" – Blake
- "My Alarm Clock Didn't Go Off!" – Claire
- "This Game Is About Minutes" – Shola
- "Welcome To The World Of Being Human" – Mary
- "I'm Gonna Take His Girl" – Alex
- "I'm Gonna Throw Up On Phil's Shoes" – Oswald
- "I'm Not a Miner! No, You're An Idiot!" – Wil/Tara
- "Ready To Lose Our Lives" – Oswald
- "It's Hammer Time" – Chris
- "Follow That Plane!" – Wil
Individual prizes were awarded to the first team to complete certain legs.
- Leg 1 - A vacation to Hawaii provided by American Airlines Vacations.
- Leg 8 - A seven day cruise on Royal Caribbean
- Leg 9 - A vacation to Cancún provided by American Airlines Vacations.
- Leg 10 - A vacation to Puerto Rico provided by American Airlines Vacations.
- Leg 11 - A vacation to Los Cabos provided by American Airlines Vacations.
- Leg 12 - A vacation to London and Paris provided by American Airlines Vacations.
- Leg 13 - $1,000,000
|The Amazing Race 2|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13|
|Countries||United States • Brazil • South Africa • Namibia • Thailand • Hong Kong • Australia • New Zealand|
|Teams||Blake & Paige • Chris & Alex • Cyndi & Russell • Deidre & Hillary • Gary & Dave • Hope & Norm • Mary & Peach • Oswald & Danny • Peggy & Claire • Shola & Doyin • Tara & Wil|