The Amazing Race 16
|The Amazing Race 16|
|First Aired||February 14 - May 9, 2010|
|Filmed||November 28 - December 20, 2009|
|No. Of Episodes||12|
|Distance Traveled||40,000 miles (64,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||12|
|Unfinished Business||Jet &|
|Season 15 ◄ Season 16 ► Season 17|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12|
The Amazing Race 16 is the sixteenth installment of the reality television show The Amazing Race. The sixteenth cycle started on Sunday, February 14, 2010. It aired on CBS in the United States on Sunday nights at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT with the season finale on May 9, 2010, and in Canada, the show premiered on the A-Channel, not CTV (due to the 2010 Winter Olympics), but it returned to CTV after the Winter Olympics concluded. The show was again hosted by Phil Keoghan.
Brothers Dan & Jordan were the winners of this Race, and were the first team of male siblings to win the competition.
Development and filming
Racers were observed leaving Los Angeles International Airport on November 28, 2009. For the third time, teams had to use public transportation to make their way from the Starting Line to the airport. Teams had also done so in seasons 1 and 6.
Racers were reported checking into a Pit Stop in Puerto Varas, Chile on December 2. Filming of the show had also been reported in Bariloche, Argentina, and continuing on to Germany and production crews were reported to be seen around Singapore, particularly in the Bugis area and the Singapore Flyer.
In the third episode, which aired on February 28, 2010 and featured the contestants departing Chile, Phil Keoghan acknowledged the February 27, 2010 massive earthquake in Chile in a special opening.
Leg 4 featured an Intersection for the first time since Season 11. Also for the first time since the Intersection was introduced, teams did a Roadblock together, where one person from each of the intersected teams had to work together to complete the Roadblock. This is also the first time since Season 8 that two racers worked together to complete a Roadblock, and the first time in its history that an Intersection occurred on a different leg than Leg 8.
Leg 9 was the first time that a U-Turn warning had been in the team's first clue, due to the fact the team taking the Fast Forward option would have skipped the Detour and the U-Turn point. Also, this was the first time that a Fast Forward and a U-Turn have been present in the same leg, although this was previously done on the Israeli edition of the race, HaMerotz LaMillion.
At the end of the episode for Leg 10, the death of He Pingping was acknowledged. He appeared giving out clues to the teams after the first Roadblock. That leg was also the first single-length leg ever on the Race to have two Roadblocks (Each team member had to complete one of the Roadblocks).
In Leg 11, Bao Xishun, the world's tallest man at the time, was featured as the greeter at the Pit Stop in Shanghai.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 12||USA||15 (All)||1|
|1, 2, 3||Chile||2||2|
|5, 6, 7||France||4||2|
|10, 11, 12||China||6||2|
Applications were originally due on July 10, 2009, but the deadline was later extended. Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in August 2009 and the final casting interviews took place in Los Angeles around September and October 2009. Filming took place around November and December 2009.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note this table does not necessarily reflect all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Dan & Jordan||Brothers||8th2||8th||6th||6th–||4th||5th||2nd||5th||1stƒ||3rd||3rd||1st||Dan 6, Jordan 5|
|Jet & Cord||Brothers/Cowboys||3rd||1st||1st||4th+||3rd||4th||6th9||1st||3rd||1st||2nd||2nd||Jet 6, Cord 6|
|Brent & Caite||Dating Models||7th1||4th||7th4||7th~||6th6||6th8||3rd||4th||2nd⊃||2nd||1st||3rd||Brent 7, Caite 5|
|Louie & Michael||Detectives||9th||9th||8th||1st+||1st⊃||1st||4th||3rd||4th||4th||4th||Louie 6, Michael 5|
|Carol & Brandy||Girlfriends||6th||3rd||3rd||5th–||5th||2nd||5th||2nd||5th⊂||Carol 4, Brandy 4|
|Steve & Allie||Father/Daughter||4th||7th||2nd||2nd^||2nd||3rd||1st||6th||Steve 4, Allie 3|
|Jordan & Jeff||Newly Dating||1st||6th||5th||8th~||7th||7th||Jordan 2, Jeff 3|
|Joe & Heidi||Married||5th||2nd||4th||3rd^||8th⊂7||Joe 2, Heidi 2|
|Monique & Shawne||Moms/Attorneys||2nd||5th||9th||Monique 1, Shawne 2|
|Jody & Shannon||Grandmother/Granddaughter||10th||10th||Jody 1, Shannon 1|
|Dana & Adrian||High School Sweethearts||11th3||Dana 0, Adrian 13|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- A green ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- Matching colored symbols (pink +, teal ^, magenta –, and olive ~) indicate teams who worked together during part of the leg as a result of an Intersection.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Brent and Caite initially arrived 2nd, but were issued a 30-minute penalty for going on foot instead of taking the funicular from the Roadblock as instructed in their clue; 5 teams checked-in during the penalty time, dropping them to 7th.
- Dan and Jordan initially arrived 4th, but were issued a 15-minute penalty for losing a paintbrush during the additional task; 4 teams, including Brent and Caite, checked-in during the penalty time, dropping them to 8th.
- Dana and Adrian failed to complete the Roadblock in Leg 1. After Adrian's second failure attempt and after all other teams had already checked in at the Pit Stop, Phil came out to the Roadblock location and eliminated them.
- Brent and Caite were left at the Pit Start for 3 hours and 5 minutes in Puerto Varas because both had to be treated for dehydration]at the emergency room in a local hospital, and they departed last instead of 4th at Leg 3.
- The U-Turn in Leg 5 was a Blind U-Turn; Louie and Michael did not have to reveal themselves to the other teams as having used the U-Turn.
- Brent and Caite initially arrived 6th, but had missed the clue at the U-Turn, having arrived at their additional task by chance. They had to backtrack to the U-Turn to receive their clue. This did not affect their placement.
- Joe and Heidi failed to complete the second Detour task (In the Trenches) that they had to do as a result of being U-Turned. After all of the other teams had already checked in at the Pit Stop, Phil came out to their location and eliminated them.
- Brent and Caite initially arrived 3rd, but did not complete the Detour, having arrived at the Pit Stop accidentally by chance after following Carol and Brandy. They had to backtrack to complete the Detour and later checked in 6th.
- Jet and Cord initially arrived 5th, but did not retrieve the clue giving directions to the Pit Stop after completing the Roadblock. They had to backtrack to retrieve the clue. Carol and Brandy checked in during this time, dropping Jet and Cord to last place, but they were not eliminated.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Nanna Is Kickin' Your Butt (Chile)" – Michael
- "When the Cow Kicked Me in the Head (Chile)" – Jody
- "Run Like Scalded Dogs! (Argentina)" – Jet
- "We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt (Germany)" – Jet
- "I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right? (France)" – Michael
- "Cathy Drone? (France)" – Dan
- "Anonymous? (Seychelles)" – Brent
- "You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)" – Michael
- "Dumb Did Us In (Singapore)" – Brandy
- "I Feel Like I'm in, Like, Sicily (Shanghai)" – Brent
- "They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language (Shanghai)" – Brent
- "Huger than Huge (San Francisco)" – Dan
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 – A trip for two to Vancouver, British Columbia
- Leg 2 – A pair of sailboats
- Leg 3 – A trip for two to Patagonia
- Leg 4 – Two $5,000 pre-loaded Discover Cards
- Leg 5 – Two 55" HD TVs
- Leg 6 – A trip for two to Cancun, Mexico
- Leg 7 – A dinner on the beach on Praslin, Seychelles, massages, all the 7-Up the team could drink (at the Pit Stop), and $7,000 for each team member
- Leg 8 – A trip for two to Maui, Hawaii
- Leg 9 – A pair of motorcycles
- Leg 10 – A trip for two to Alaska.
- Leg 11 – A trip for two to the Spanish coast.
- Leg 12 – $1,000,000
No episode aired on April 18, 2010 due to CBS's broadcast of the Academy of Country Music Awards and CTV's broadcast of the Juno Awards.
|1||February 14, 2010||"Nanna Is Kickin' Your Butt"||5.1||8||2.8/7||9.07||1||1|
|2||February 21, 2010||"When the Cow Kicked Me in the Head"||5.2||8||2.9/7||9.11||1||1|
|3||February 28, 2010||"Run Like Scalded Dogs!"||5.8||9||3.2/8||10.24||2||4|
|4||March 7, 2010||"We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt"||4.5||7||2.6/7||8.05||2||4|
|5||March 14, 2010||"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?"||5.8||10||3.0/9||10.10||1||3|
|6||March 21, 2010||"Cathy Drone?"||6.9||11||3.8/9||11.99||1||4|
|7||March 28, 2010||"Anonymous?"||7.2||11||3.9/10||12.73||1||3|
|8||April 4, 2010||"You're Like Jason Bourne, Right?"||5.2||9||2.7/8||9.14||1||3|
|9||April 11, 2010||"Dumb Did Us In"||6.9||11||3.4/10||11.88||1||3|
|10||April 25, 2010||"I Feel Like I'm in, Like, Sicily"||6.3||10||3.2/9||10.69||1||3|
|11||May 2, 2010||"They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language"||6.0||10||3.0/9||10.29||1||3|
|12||May 9, 2010||"Huger Than Huge"||6.0||11||2.9/9||10.63||1||3|
- Episode 1, "Nanna Is Kickin' Your Butt" aired on Valentine's Day.
- Episode 4, "We Are No Longer In The Bible Belt" had a considerably low amount of viewers, most likely because it aired on the same night as the 82nd Academy Awards.
- Episode 7, "Anonymous?" had the most viewers and adults 25–54 rating since the November 4, 2007, episode of The Amazing Race 12, as well as the best numbers in adults 18–49 since the January 6, 2008, episode of the same season.
- Episode 8, "You're like Jason Bourne, right?" aired on Easter Sunday.
- Episode 12, "Huger Than Huge", the season finale, aired on Mother's Day. The show was down nearly two million viewers compared to the season 15 finale and was the lowest rated finale since season 4.
Canadian broadcaster CTV also airs The Amazing Race on Sundays at 8pm, the first three episodes were aired on A-Channel. When the show returned to the said network, episode four aired an hour earlier than its normal start time due to the network's broadcast of the 82nd Academy Awards.
|1||February 14, 2010||"Nanna Is Kickin' Your Butt"||n/a||<#30|
|2||February 21, 2010||"When the Cow Kicked Me in the Head"||0.90||#16|
|3||February 28, 2010||"Run Like Scalded Dogs!"||0.88||#13|
|4||March 7, 2010||"We Are No Longer in the Bible Belt"||1.44||#21|
|5||March 14, 2010||"I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?"||2.53||#4|
|6||March 21, 2010||"Cathy Drone?"||2.00||#7|
|7||March 28, 2010||"Anonymous?"||2.47||#4|
|8||April 4, 2010||"You're Like Jason Bourne, Right?"||2.08||#6|
|9||April 11, 2010||"Dumb Did Us In"||2.29||#7|
|10||April 25, 2010||"I Feel Like I'm in, Like, Sicily"||2.18||#5|
|11||May 2, 2010||"They Don't Even Understand Their Own Language"||2.51||#3|
|12||May 9, 2010||"Huger Than Huge"||2.58||#3|
|The Amazing Race 16|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||United States • Chile • Argentina • Germany • France • Seychelles • Malaysia • Singapore • China|
|Teams||Brent & Caite • Carol & Brandy • Dan & Jordan • Dana & Adrian • Jet & Cord • Jody & Shannon • Joe & Heidi • Jordan & Jeff • Louie & Michael • Monique & Shawne • Steve & Allie|