The Amazing Race 14
|The Amazing Race 14|
|First Aired||February 15 - May 10, 2009|
|Filmed||October 31 - November 21, 2008|
|No. Of Episodes||12|
|Distance Traveled||40,000 miles (64,000 km)|
|No. of Legs||11|
|Unfinished Business||Jaime Edmondson &|
Amanda Blackledge &
|Season 13 ◄ Season 14 ► Season 15|
|1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11|
The Amazing Race 14 is the fourteenth installment of the reality television show The Amazing Race. The season premiered on Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT and aired on Sunday nights with the season finale on May 10, 2009. The show was again hosted by Phil Keoghan.
Siblings Tammy & Victor were the winners of this season's race, and are the first Asian American contestants to win the competition.
The Amazing Race 14 lasted for 22 days and traveled over 40,000 miles. The teams raced in nine countries, including Romania for the first time, as well as Switzerland, Germany, Austria, India, China, Thailand and Russia (Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk), with the finish line in Maui, Hawaii. In an interview, executive producer Bertram van Munster revealed that the teams took a 13-hour train ride on the Trans-Siberian Railway, and got into a Siberian snowstorm with below-zero temperatures. He also revealed that the teams suffered extreme climates, intense Roadblocks and less time in airports, which added up to an exhausting course for the racers. In addition, CBS revealed the Race included the world's second tallest bungee jump, suffocating heat in India, and an Olympic-themed challenge that left the teams "gasping for air."
The Race's route was updated via Google Earth and, according to Bertram van Munster, this season includes new graphics, a new opening sequence (consequently, the team videos preceding a team's close up are updated throughout the season to reflect tasks that have already been completed), and a tuneup in the musical score (still keeping the key in B flat minor), as well as the use of a split screen to show several scenes at the same time. This season also changed its main team names and route info font from Microgramma to Bank Gothic.
Season 14 introduced a new twist to the U-Turn: the U-Turn in Leg 4 was a Blind U-Turn, in which the team electing to use it did so anonymously; other U-Turns (and the Yields that got replaced) required teams utilizing them to acknowledge their use to subsequent teams. The U-Turn in the second half of Leg 10 was a normal U-Turn.
Leg 10 was a double-length Leg, which was a surprise feature of every Race from Season 6 to Season 10 but had not been seen since. However, this double-length Leg was the first where the double-length Leg was revealed to the teams at a location that was explicitly called a Pit Stop, except teams were not warned of an elimination in the clue. In previous seasons, teams were either given some implicit reference to a Pit Stop, such as "go and meet Phil Keoghan at the mat" and were handed their next clue by Keoghan, or were given a clue to continue racing at a clue box where a clue directing teams to the Pit Stop would have been expected.
Mel & Mike confirmed in a post-race interview that there was an unaired, unused Fast Forward in Leg 7 that involved purchasing items for an orphanage using the team's own money. This was the first season ever where no team took the Fast Forward option throughout the race.
Jaime & Cara became the fourth all-female team to make the final 3.
The Maui finish line makes this the southernmost finish line in Race history.
|Leg(s)||Country||Previous Visits||Pit Stops|
|1, 11||USA||13 (All)||1|
|4, 5, 6||Russia||3||2|
|7, 8, 9||Thailand||3||2|
|9, 10, 11||China||5||2|
Applications were due on May 28, 2008. Semi-finalist interviews were held sometime in June 2008 and the final casting interviews were held in Los Angeles around late June or early July 2008. Scouting for locations was performed during August. Filming took place during November 2008.
The following teams participated in the Race, with their relationships at the time of filming. Note this table does not necessarily reflect all content broadcast on television due to inclusion or exclusion of some data. Placements are listed in finishing order.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by Leg)||Roadblocks performed|
|Tammy & Victor||Siblings/Lawyers||2nd||1st||8th||3rd||2nd||1st||1st||3rd||2nd||3rd||1st⊃||1st||Tammy 5, Victor 6|
|Jaime & Cara||Former NFL Cheerleaders||7th||6th||7th||5th||3rd||5th||2nd||2nd||4th||1st||3rd||2nd||Jaime 6, Cara 5|
|Margie & Luke||Mother/Son||1st||4th||4th||4th⊃||1st||4th||4th||1st||3rd||2nd||2nd||3rd||Margie 5, Luke 6|
|Kisha & Jen||Sisters||8th||7th||3rd||2nd||6th||3rd||5th||4th3||1st||4th||4th⊂||Kisha 5, Jen 5|
|Mark & Michael||Brothers/Stuntmen||3rd||8th||5th||7th||5th||6th||3rd2||5th4||5th||Mark 5, Michael 3|
|Mel & Mike||Father/Son||4th||2nd||1st||6th||4th||2nd||6th||Mel 3, Mike 3|
|Christie & Jodi||Flight Attendants||10th||9th||6th||1st||7th||7th||Christie 3, Jodi 3|
|Amanda & Kris||Dating||5th||3rd||2nd||8th⊂||Amanda 1, Kris 3|
|Brad & Victoria||Married||6th||5th||9th||Brad 0, Victoria 3|
|Steve & Linda||Married||9th||10th||Steve 1, Linda 1|
|Preston & Jennifer||Dating||11th||Preston 1, Jennifer 0|
- A red team placement indicates that the team was eliminated.
- A ƒ indicates that the team won a Fast Forward clue. If placed next to a Leg number, this indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that Leg but not used.
- An underlined blue team's placement indicates that the team came in last on a non-elimination Leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following Leg.
- Italicized results indicate the position of the team at the midpoint of a two-episode Leg.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- The unused Fast Forward in Leg 7 was unaired, making Season 14 the first season not to air a Fast Forward.
- Mark & Michael initially arrived 1st, but were issued two 30-minute penalties: one for intentionally tampering with the bike pumps and putting them away at the 2 Miles Detour, and another for hiring a taxi to guide them through the task, which was explicitly prohibited in the clue. Two teams checked in during their penalty time, dropping Mark & Michael to 3rd.
- Kisha & Jen initially arrived 3rd, but were not allowed to check in because they had left their travel documents and money at the location of the Roadblock; they were instructed to retrieve them before they could check in again. Tammy & Victor checked in while Kisha & Jen went back, dropping them to 4th; Mark & Michael also arrived during this time, but were unable to check in due to penalties accumulated during the Leg (see note 4).
- Mark & Michael initially arrived 4th, but were issued two 2-hour penalties, both for "using personal belongings to settle a bill" (they had bartered personal items to pay two taxi fares). With just over 3 hours of the penalty time remaining, Kisha & Jen returned to check in 4th. Mark & Michael, in last place at that point, were allowed to check in immediately after Kisha & Jen; however, they were notified the Leg was non-elimination, and the remaining penalty would be accessed at the start of the next Leg.
- Leg 10 was a double length Leg, with 2 Roadblocks and 2 Detours, shown over two episodes. The placements listed in the first column reflect the order teams arrived at the Leg's halfway point. The U-Turn appeared after the second Detour.
Episode title quotes
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers. Starting this season, the titles also include the general location (nation, city or subnational region) in which the episode was taped.
- "Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me (Switzerland)" – Mel
- "Your Target is Your Partner's Face (Germany)" – Instructions for the "Austrian Folly" Detour option
- "I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard! (Romania)" – Luke
- "It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots (Siberia)" – Mike
- "She's a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She'll Be OK! (Siberia)" – Victor
- "Alright Guys We're at War! (India)" – Mark
- "Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla??? (Thailand)" – Victor
- "Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant (Thailand)" – Phil Keoghan
- "Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death (China)" – Victor in Mandarin Chinese
- "Having a Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This (China)" – Cara
- "No More Mr. Nice Guy (China)" – Victor
- "This is How You Lose a Million Dollars (Maui)" – Jaime
The prize for each Leg is awarded to the first place team for that Leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 – A trip for two to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Leg 2 – A hybrid go-kart for each team member
- Leg 3 – A trip for two to Costa Rica
- Leg 4 – A motorcycle for each team member
- Leg 5 – A trip for two to Saint Lucia
- Leg 6 – An Ocean kayak for each team member
- Leg 7 – A trip for two to Oahu, Hawaii
- Leg 8 – A trip for two to the Inter Continental San Juan Resort in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Leg 9 – A trip for two to Barbados
- Leg 10 (Midpoint)6 – Jet skis (unaired)
- Leg 10 (Pit Stop) – A trip for two to the Galápagos Islands
- Leg 11 – $1,000,000
6. Jaime revealed in a post-race interview that she and Cara were awarded jet skis for coming in first place (unaired).
US Nielsen ratings
|1||"Don't Let A Cheese Hit Me"||5.4||9||2.6/7||9.20||#27|
|2||"Your Target Is Your Partner's Face"||4.4||7||2.6/6||7.81||#34|
|3||"I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard"||6.6||11||3.0/8||10.60||#18|
|4||"It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots"||6.1||10||3.1/8||10.13||#28|
|5||"She’s a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She’ll Be OK!"||5.9||10||3.1/8||10.33||#26|
|6||"Alright Guys, We're at War!"||7.2||11||3.2/8||12.42||#15|
|7||"Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???"||7.1||11||3.8/10||11.97||#12|
|8||"Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant"||6.2||10||2.9/8||10.58||#18|
|9||"Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death"||6.1||10||n/a||10.31||#20|
|10||"Having a Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This"||6.0||10||n/a||10.27||#17|
|11||"No More Mr. Nice Guy"||6.8||9||2.0/7||10.84||#20|
|12||"This is How You Lose a Million Dollars"||7.6||10||n/a||12.49||#19|
|1||"Don't Let A Cheese Hit Me"||1.959||#5|
|2||"Your Target Is Your Partner's Face"||1.446||#15|
|3||"I'm Not Wearing That Girl's Leotard"||2.000||#4|
|4||"It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots"||2.013||#4|
|5||"She’s a Little Scared of Stick, But I Think She’ll Be OK!"||1.868||#8|
|6||"Alright Guys, We're at War!"||1.943||#5|
|7||"Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???"||1.876||#5|
|8||"Rooting Around in People's Mouths Could Be Unpleasant"||1.559||#10|
|9||"Our Parents Will Cry Themselves to Death"||2.070||#6|
|10||"Having a Baby's Gotta Be Easier Than This"||2.178||#2|
|11||"No More Mr. Nice Guy"||1.986||#5|
|12||"This is How You Lose a Million Dollars"||2.165||#4|
|The Amazing Race 14|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11|
|Countries||United States • Switzerland • Germany • Austria • Romania • Russia • India • Thailand • China|
|Teams||Amanda & Kris • Brad & Victoria • Christie & Jodi • Jaime & Cara • Kisha & Jen • Margie & Luke • Mark & Michael • Mel & Mike • Preston & Jennifer • Steve & Linda • Tammy & Victor|