James & Abba
|James & Abba|
|The Amazing Race 21|
|Roadblock Count||James 3, Abba 5|
James LoMenzo and Mark "Abba" Abbattista are a rock star and lawyer who competed on The Amazing Race 21. They are from Burbank, California and Denver, Colorado, respectively. They came in first for two legs in a row but were eliminated in 6th place on the eighth leg after being robbed of their belongings, including their passports.
Before the Race
Before embarking on the race, James was a professional guitar player and rock musician, and Abba was a entertainment lawyer.
- James: Win a point against a young, professional ping pong player who uses unusual paddles.
- Abba: Use chopsticks to eat a hollowed papaya filled with the fatty tissue found near frog fallopian tubes.
James & Abba were the 5th team to depart after the starting line task, and made it onto the first flight to Shanghai, along with other 6 teams. They went to the Yuanshen Sports Centre Stadium, and played a table tennis Roadblock. They left the roadblock in 2nd, and found the other Roadblock clue at the Cui Ping Jiu Jia Restaurant in 1st, also finishing it in 1st. They went to The Bund to find the lady with an Abacus, loosing a lot of time serching for her, checking-in to the pit stop in 6th
- James: Power a pedal-operated carousel with four children and make a balloon animal for each.
- Ice-by-the-Pound: Load ten 65lbs blocks of ice onto a truck, travel to a market, and deliver them to a stall.
In Surabaya, Indonesia, James & Abba were in first place after the Alun-Alun bull race. They reached the Roadblock also in 1st, but left in 4th. They arrived to Wijaya Motors in 6th place and completed the Detour in the same position, checking-in for a 6th place finish.
- Abba: Carry 20 plates of food at once to waiting diners.
- Lion Head: Wear very large lion masks and follow a parade while dancing.
James & Abba departed in 6th, starting the Roadblock in the same position, and finished it in 5th. They made it onto the first train to Bangil, with other 4 teams. They performed the Lion's head side of the Detour. They didn't use the U-Turn and checked-in in 4th place.
Teams flew to Dhaka, Bangladesh for this leg. James & Abba arrived in 5th to the Roadblock clue, but decided to go to the Fast Forward instead. They had to collect dead rats from different locations and bring it to another place. After that, they checked-in in 1st place, winning the leg with a trip for two to Antigua.
- James: Build a balancing scale from scratch using the provided materials.
- Bamboo Jungle: Load three sets of very large bamboo poles onto a bicycle and deliver them across town.
Before the leg started, James received a call from home. It was his wife, and she told him that his dad had a stage 4 cancer, and there was no chance of remission. James decided to keep on racing. They departed in 1st place, and after performing both Roadblock and Detour, they kept a great lead over all other teams. They then again checked-in 1st, winning a trip for two to Malaysia.
- Scrub It: Experience a traditional Turkish Bath.
- Abba: Dress in a vendor's outfit and serve 40 glasses of sherbet for 1 lira each.
James & Abba departed in 1st, and, after having their money lost and taken by Natalie & Nadiya and Trey & Lexi in the travel agency (the money was not returned by the two teams that took it, even if they knew to who it belonged, giving rise to one of the biggest controversies of the race when the episode aired), flew to Istanbul, Turkey. They soon recovered their lead after being alone on the 1st boat to Üsküdar. They started the Detour in 1st, but were passed during the task. Then, they started the Roadblock in 4th place, and recovered from one place to check-in 3rd
- Synchronize: Learn and perform a synchronized swimming routine for a judge.
- Abba: Unlock a series of locks attached to "The Trees of Love" using a ring of keys.
- Arrived 4th, turned away for missing their passports - 6th - Non-elimination leg
In Moscow, Russia, James & Abba started the Detour in 1st. They were passed by three teams after changing sides of the Detour. When they arrived to start the Roadblock, their cab driver went off, taking with him their bags and passports. James & Abba still completed the Roadblock and tried to check-in at the pit stop, but couldn't. They had to find at least their passports to check-in. They weren't able to find them, and after all teams finished the leg, they were able to check-in in last place. Phil then told them that they were not eliminated, leg 7 being a non-elimination, and had another chance to find the passport on the other day.
- Unknown task involving a priest and a limo.
- Abba: Complete a pop quiz involving Russia's time zones.
- Directed to the Pit Stop
- 6th - Eliminated
James & Abba started the leg in last place, at 06:05 pm. They completed the Speed Bump and the Roadblock, and go to the Pit Stop to be eliminated in 6th place, where they told Phil that they just found one of the two missing passports.
Per post race interviews, Abba took six days to obtain a visa to exit Russia, where he lost his passport. Hence, they were still able to make it to the finishing line, unlike Toni & Dallas who were unable to do so in The Amazing Race 13.
|The Amazing Race 21|
|Legs||1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12|
|Countries||United States • China • Indonesia • Bangladesh • Turkey • Russia • Netherlands • Spain • France|
|Teams||Abbie & Ryan • Amy & Daniel • Caitlin & Brittany • Gary & Will • James & Abba • Jaymes & James • Josh & Brent • Natalie & Nadiya • Rob & Kelley • Rob & Sheila • Trey & Lexi|